Latest post Wed, Jun 25 2008 9:12 AM by neilop. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 23 2008 7:42 PM

• neilop
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 23 2008
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120

Ease of importing files from Z7E flash card

Hi everyone,

As a lecturer considering buying new camera equipment for a media division using new Avid MCP PC systems on a Unity drive, I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience of importing video files from a compact flash card shot with a Sony Z7E. Mostly this will be SD DVCam footage but may sometimes be HDV. How straightforward is the workflow - considering this is to be learnt and carried out by undergrad students?

How does the workflow compare to importing footage shot on a P2 card from a Panasonic HPX-500 or HVX-200?

Many thanks and looking forward to your thoughts.

Neil

• Mon, Jun 23 2008 8:45 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,739
    • Points 227,800
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Ease of importing files from Z7E flash card

And what type of files does that camera record? Is it XDCam?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 3:10 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605
    • Moderator: MCA Mac

I believe this is the card I very briefly tested a couple of months ago with MC 2.7 or 2.7, It holds standard MXF-wrapped thin-raster HDV I recall. The import was incredibly painless, almost amazingly so.

I put the card in a reader, clicked 'File -> Import' and selected the files, it fast imported them and was all done. Really really really easy.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 9:26 AM In reply to

• neilop
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120

BLKDOG:

And what type of files does that camera record? Is it XDCam?

Sorry not to be more specific. It does both HDV and DVCAM or DV. We will mostly be using the DVCAM option with some HDV. Here is the info from the camera's website:

Recording media

CompactFlash card (2GB or bigger, 133x or faster) (not supplied)

File system

FAT32

File format (HDV)

.M2T

File format (DVCAM/DV)

.AVI (DV-AVI, type 1) or .DV (Raw-DV)

This was taken from here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=HVR-Z7E&site=biz_en_GB&pageType=TechnicalSpecs&imageType=Main&category=HDVCamcorders 

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 10:57 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605

The .m2t files worked very well in my test. I haven't tried the .dv files, but they also might work with similar ease.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Auckland, New Zealand

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 11:06 AM In reply to

• neilop
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120

Thanks Sycophant that's very good to know.

If anyone has tried the .DV files into MCP on a PC I'd love to hear the results. We are going to borrow a card this afternoon and try importing into our current Avid Express set-up (if that works I think we can assume it will also work in MCP3 when we get the new systems?)

Neil.

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 4:36 PM In reply to

• neilop
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120

Further to the test we just did, the .m2t HDV files from the Z7E imported extremely rapidly into Avid Express Pro, as reported by Sycophant earlier on - in fact so fast there hardly seemed to be any kind of conversion process. DVCam footage saved as .DV files also imported easily, but took longer - a 5 minute clip imported roughly in real time, ie took about 5 minutes. All files were imported directly into an Avid bin from the flash card. The process could not be simpler. Now let's hope it works as well on MCP 3 when we go over to that in the summer!

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 10:29 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605

If it works in Xpress Pro it will work just fine in Media Composer... So things look good then I guess.

You could look at shooting HD and editing in Standard Def also, if you like.

Auckland, New Zealand

• Wed, Jun 25 2008 9:12 AM In reply to

• neilop
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120

Sycophant:

You could look at shooting HD and editing in Standard Def also, if you like.

The camera has a nifty facility where you can shoot simultaneuosly onto tape as HDV and onto the card as DVCam, with the same time code. So there's also the option of an offline cut on SD followed by an autoconform to online from the HDV tapes later.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller