Latest post Fri, May 9 2008 12:19 PM by camoscato. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 8 2008 8:12 PM

• Dreamer D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 18 2007
    • NYC
    • Posts 145
    • Points 2,090

Need to make DVD's and QT's TODAY - some problems

Hi everybody,

I have two DVD's (and QT's) to make and need some help.  I always have lots of trouble getting the right settings for making QT's and these are super important:

#1.)  I've been working on a demo of my projects and I need to bring it to my school tomorrow for a Career Fair.  They want it on DVD.  I have AXP 5.8 Academic and recently upgraded my Quicktime to Pro.  Problem is (I am going to sound so stupid now)... when i bought my Dell 390 from their outlet, I didn't realize that the DVD drive doesn't write, it only plays.  And I haven't had time to replace it.  So, I am thinking of exporting as a QTRef, then using QTPro to make a complete QT file that I can stick on my flash, then I'll switch to my other PC to make the DVD with Sonic MY DVD LE.  I have DVD-It on the workstation (but obviously can't use it), but it wouldn't allow me to install it on the PC for some reason.  I have QT Pro on both computers.  I am assuming you can just open a QTRef with QTPro like you can open a full QT?

Anyway I just want to what is the best way to export the sequence to make this happen.  I want to make sure that the quality is high but that the codecs aren't too exotic and will play the DVD on any macine.  I need to know how to export the audio tracks, do I mix down first, WAV or AAF, etc.  I recently exported some audio tracks from my Avid as a WAV file and oddly enough it won't play in WMP (sez it needs a codec but I don't know which one) but will play in QT -- which is strange because I thought WAV is a MS thingy.

The project is a total of 3 minutes and I have to make sureI hope it will fit on my flash drive, which has about 3gigs available.

#2.)  My husband asked me to make a short video for him, which he needs on Saturday for an important presentation (his Capstone project for graduate school).  It's just a montage of stills with V.O. (I have a great voice for V.O. and love doing that) over music I imported from SonicFire Pro. This is a little less than 3 mins. -- and it is the project that wouldn't open as a WAV in WMP.   So, for that, I thought maybe I should make a DVD and a QT just in case one doesn't work.  I believe they will be playing it on a PC system but I'm not sure.  Again, I want to make sure that I use codecs that anyone will have and not create problems with playback.

Okay, sorry this is so long.  I have to go back to finishing my demo, & will check back in for any help you folks can give.  I have class tonight at 7 and the Career Fair tomorrow morning at 9:30.  I absolutely need to finish my demo today but I can finish hubby's tomorrow afternoon.  I took off work to get this done, and I'm still feeling crunched for time!

Thanks in advance...

Dreamer

Avid Xpress Pro v5.8......Dell Precision Workstation 390......Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13GHz/Dual-core)......Windows XP Pro (SP2)......2 GB DDR2 ECC SDRAM... [view my complete system specs]

I edit in my dreams*

Filed under: , , , , , , ,
  • Thu, May 8 2008 8:49 PM In reply to

Re: Need to make DVD's and QT's TODAY - some problems

Hi D,

That's a whole lot to try and learn by tomorrow.  Take a look at How to DVD on this link.  There are a few different workflows listed there that ought to get you pointed in the right direction. 

Dreamer D:
    I am assuming you can just open a QTRef with QTPro like you can open a full QT?

You can, but the QT Ref has to be on the same system as the Avid media that was used to create it (the "reference" part of QT Ref means it "refers" to the media rather than being self contained).  If you need to take a QT from one system to another, you can't use a QT Ref, you have to use a full QT movie.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try exporting short clips (20 seconds or so) using different workflows, and burn them to DVD RW for testing.  That way you don't spend a lot of time exporting an entire sequence only to find out it didn't work.  Once you figure out a workflow that works for you, then export the whole thing.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2022.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, May 8 2008 9:25 PM In reply to

If you're just missing DVD burner hardware on your system that shouldn't prevent your from going all the way to the point of creating the DVD volume, then you can put the volume onto a Flash drive and take it to a system that has a burner (and software) and burn a copy from the volume.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, May 9 2008 3:50 AM In reply to

• Dreamer D
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 145
    • Points 2,090

camoscato:
    Hi D,

That's a whole lot to try and learn by tomorrow.  Take a look at How to DVD on this link.  There are a few different workflows listed there that ought to get you pointed in the right direction.

I have made DVD's before but it seems the process is always fraught with problems.  My main concern is codecs.

camoscato:
    Dreamer D:
    I am assuming you can just open a QTRef with QTPro like you can open a full QT?

You can, but the QT Ref has to be on the same system as the Avid media that was used to create it (the "reference" part of QT Ref means it "refers" to the media rather than being self contained).  If you need to take a QT from one system to another, you can't use a QT Ref, you have to use a full QT movie.

Yes, I am aware of that -- I guess my post wasn't clear.  I was thinking of exporting a QTRef from Avid, then opening the QTRef file in QT Pro and exporting as a QT file from QTPro - simply because I'm not sure if I have all the right codecs to do it from Avid.  I have lost confidence in being able to make a full QT directly from Avid.

camoscato:
    If I were in your shoes, I'd try exporting short clips (20 seconds or so) using different workflows, and burn them to DVD RW for testing.  That way you don't spend a lot of time exporting an entire sequence only to find out it didn't work.  Once you figure out a workflow that works for you, then export the whole thing.

good luck,
    Carl

I don't have that many DVD's!

Avid Xpress Pro v5.8......Dell Precision Workstation 390......Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13GHz/Dual-core)......Windows XP Pro (SP2)......2 GB DDR2 ECC SDRAM... [view my complete system specs]

I edit in my dreams*

• Fri, May 9 2008 3:52 AM In reply to

• Dreamer D
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 145
    • Points 2,090

Kenton.VanNatten:
    If you're just missing DVD burner hardware on your system that shouldn't prevent your from going all the way to the point of creating the DVD volume, then you can put the volume onto a Flash drive and take it to a system that has a burner (and software) and burn a copy from the volume.
    I wish I knew what you mean by "volume."  I know the DVD software usually creates some kind of Project file - I guess those are the volumes?  So, If I make the volume with DVD-it, can I complete the process with Roxio My DVD?

Dreamer

I edit in my dreams*

• Fri, May 9 2008 4:01 AM In reply to

• Dreamer D
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 145
    • Points 2,090

Also, I need to know what format to export audio, since the WAV I recently made from Avid won't play on WMP.

I edit in my dreams*

• Fri, May 9 2008 4:25 AM In reply to

Dreamer D:
    If I make the volume with DVD-it, can I complete the process with Roxio My DVD?

If Roxio myDVD allows you to burn a disc from a VideoTS folder then yes.  A "volume" is the VideoTS and AudioTS folders that contain all of the .vob, .bup, and other files that are created when the disc is authored. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, May 9 2008 8:26 AM In reply to

Hi D,

I understand the concern about codecs and such, but it sounds like you might be overcomplicating things.  There's no need to export a QT Ref and then put that into QT Pro.  You can just export a QT movie using the Animation codec (which is high quality and very common) and bring that QT movie into myDVD or DVDit (whichever one is on the system) and let it handle both the conversion to MPEG2 and the DVD burning. 

Dreamer D:
    I want to make sure that the quality is high but that the codecs aren't too exotic and will play the DVD on any macine.

Properly authored DVDs all use MPEG2 video, so it doesn't matter what codec you export from Avid.  As long as myDVD or DVDit (or whatever compression software you're using) can read the QT you export from Avid, it will create a DVD that is compatible with every DVD player.  That's why I'm suggesting you use the Animation codec to export a QT for use in your DVD-making software.

Dreamer D:
    I don't have that many DVDs!

Right, which is why I said you should use DVD-RWs so you can do multiple tests and not worry about wasting DVDs.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2022.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, May 9 2008 9:45 AM In reply to

• Dreamer D
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 145
    • Points 2,090

Thank you.  That is how I've done it before (one of my profs always sez to use Animation setting), but after having some files just not play properly I was scanning the message boards here or somewhere, and found a recommendation to open a QTRef in QTPro and do it that way.  Since I just upgraded to QTPro, I thought I'd try that method.  But of course, it makes better sense to me to just make the full QT.

Sorry about misunderstanding you about the DVD's.  I always get confused about R or RW - too much to remember!

D

camoscato:
    Hi D,

I understand the concern about codecs and such, but it sounds like you might be overcomplicating things.  There's no need to export a QT Ref and then put that into QT Pro.  You can just export a QT movie using the Animation codec (which is high quality and very common) and bring that QT movie into myDVD or DVDit (whichever one is on the system) and let it handle both the conversion to MPEG2 and the DVD burning. 

Dreamer D:
    I want to make sure that the quality is high but that the codecs aren't too exotic and will play the DVD on any macine.

Properly authored DVDs all use MPEG2 video, so it doesn't matter what codec you export from Avid.  As long as myDVD or DVDit (or whatever compression software you're using) can read the QT you export from Avid, it will create a DVD that is compatible with every DVD player.  That's why I'm suggesting you use the Animation codec to export a QT for use in your DVD-making software.

Dreamer D:
    I don't have that many DVDs!

Right, which is why I said you should use DVD-RWs so you can do multiple tests and not worry about wasting DVDs.

good luck,
    Carl

I edit in my dreams*

• Fri, May 9 2008 12:19 PM In reply to

Dreamer D:
    Sorry about misunderstanding you about the DVD's.  I always get confused about R or RW - too much to remember!

Hi,

No worries.  Good luck at the career fair!

adios,
    Carl

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller