Latest post Tue, Oct 4 2022 9:43 PM by Philip Kapadia. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 29 2022 5:46 PM

Ghost volumes in Source Browser

Might be my system but I see 'ghost' references to unconnected volumes in the Source Browser. Restarting does not fix it. They can also be seen by another logged-in computer user. Anyone? In the attached screenshot, the only 'real' volumes connected are 'Macintosh HD' and 'RS Media'. The other three are not connected.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 11.6.4 with MC 2022.7 with Symphony option, BlackMagic 4K. 2020 MacBook Air with MC 2022.7 ... and NewsCutter 7.x on Dell... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Dorset, UK. www.avid-companion.co.uk

• Thu, Sep 29 2022 9:08 PM In reply to

Re: Ghost volumes in Source Browser

AndrewAction:

Try under the File dropdown menu\Media then first try "Refresh Media Directories" and if that does not work try "Load media database" Hopefully one of these will do it for you.

In the past if you had MC open and you connected a hard drive Avid would not see it until you restarted Avid.  (I cannot recall trying update data bases to try and get Avid to see the new drive myself)

ramz434:
    I just added footage to a folder that was previously used as an AMA folder five minutes ago - and the Source Browser wont see the new footage either.
    I would try a new user as something seems strange to me.

I opened a project previously saved in 8.6 (originated in 8.5)  Linked from the browser to several graphics in a folder on a USB stick. Then dragged 3 new graphics into this folder from a different hard drive (this folder had never been linked to) The graphics were in the Browser by time I had tabbed back to MC and they all happily linked into the project using the browser. So I tried a copying an old mp4 into the same folder on the USB drive.  Again the Browser had updated by the time I tabbed back to MC.

FYI the Avid user I am used for this test was created in MC 6 and has been used with every MC update since then. I am using W7 SP1 with 8.6.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Mon, Oct 3 2022 7:05 PM In reply to

I think I tried a new user (why should I) but will check again. Nothing to do with media databases works - why should it? Thesse are not Avid MediaFiles.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 11.6.4 with MC 2022.7 with Symphony option, BlackMagic 4K. 2020 MacBook Air with MC 2022.7 ... and NewsCutter 7.x on Dell... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Oct 3 2022 7:13 PM In reply to

Logged out. Tried with a different user. Still seeing ghost volumes. See screenshot.

• Tue, Oct 4 2022 9:43 PM In reply to

Hey Roger, Did you try this?

Try under the File dropdown menu\Media then first try "Refresh Media Directories" and if that does not work try "Load media database" Hopefully one of these will do it for you.

In the past if you had MC open and you connected a hard drive Avid would not see it until you restarted Avid.  (I cannot recall trying update data bases to try and get Avid to see the new drive myself)

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller