Latest post Thu, Sep 29 2022 5:30 PM by Roger Shufflebottom. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 26 2022 6:42 PM

Correct me if wrong but MC only useable on 1 system at a time

If I want to shoift between 2 systems I have to deactivate and activate? No I do not want a volume license. Entire Adobe Creative suite available for 2 systems simultaneosly for less than Avid. Avid you need to match this. Deactivating and activating a large pain in the interface.

• Mon, Sep 26 2022 6:43 PM In reply to

Re: Correct me if wrong but MC only useable on 1 system at a time

Oh, the horror etc.:
    If I want to shoift between 2 systems I have to deactivate and activate?

Yes.

Media Composer 2022.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Sep 27 2022 1:34 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 228
    • Points 2,870

Adobe Creative Suite is NOT available for 2 systems simultaneously. You are abusing the Adobe license if you are using it simultaneously on 2 systems. Media Composer cloud licensing in v2022 is actually very easy for a single user. Takes seconds.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-apps-number-of-computers.html

On how many computers can I install my Adobe app?

You can install your app(s) on two or more computers.

You can activate and remain signed in to the app(s) on up to two computers.

You can USE your app on ONLY ONE computer at a tim

HP zBook 17 G3, G4, G5, G6; HP z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, HP Z2 mini G4, Z2 mini G5, Dell Precision 3420 & 3430, Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 27 2022 2:22 PM In reply to

This is a classic destinction between a physical licensing limitation and a licensing agreement term.

Avid pyshically enforces just 1 system active at at time.

Adobe allows 2 systems to be licenced and active but on the understanding that only one is in use at a time.

Many editor just don't engage with the licensing terms that say you use our software agreeing to those terms.

I know of large post houses who plan and operate on sharing adobe licenses in clear breach of their licensing terms.

Why? because they can.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Tue, Sep 27 2022 2:29 PM In reply to

Good distinction Pat. What is a tremendous pain with Avid is the activation and reactivation of systems. Try doing this while producers are breathing over your shoulder. It needs to be easier. Make it like Adobe does it. This deactivation and activation stuff is a large pain in the dongle.

• Tue, Sep 27 2022 2:35 PM In reply to

Speaking of dongles can i get a dongle and simply move from sytem to system to avoid the delicense and licensing?

• Tue, Sep 27 2022 4:57 PM In reply to

I'm not sure Avid sells them anymore. Recently they were a 500USD add-on on new perpetual licenses only. Plus: Avid has announced the phasing out of perpetual licenses (including dongled ones), so I would recommend against it. Cheaper to get a second MC-only license.

The new licensing system introduced earlier this way should be much easier and you can even use Avid Link on your phone to check/control your licenses.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 29 2022 5:30 PM In reply to

I believe that deactivation and reactivation is not needed any more. I think this was flagged in some release notes but I know from experience that if I run MC on my iMac, then quit and launch it on my MacBook, it will run correctly. Quit and return to the iMac? Runs fine. Not sure when this happened but I have not had to deactivate for some time. Only running one instance at a time, of course.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 11.6.4 with MC 2022.7 with Symphony option, BlackMagic 4K. 2020 MacBook Air with MC 2022.7 ... and NewsCutter 7.x on Dell... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Dorset, UK. www.avid-companion.co.uk

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller