Latest post Mon, Oct 24 2022 2:51 PM by Chris Bové. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 26 2022 6:39 PM

A rant about MC only useable on 1 computerat a time

It seems I can only use my MC software on one system at a time. Is this correct?  With my Adobe Premiere I can use on two computers simultaneoucly and Adobe keeps track of this. I get all the Adobe Creative suite and the abolity to use on 2 systems simultaneously. Avid requires me to activate and deactivate everytime I cange systems. This quite frankly stinks. Am I wrong about this. Argue how ever you would like but Adobe versus Avid but to me Adobe seems a much better deal. I am equally comfortable with either and Adobe is much less of a headache to deal with and has very spiffy customer support if issues come up. Also cheaper

Thanks

• Mon, Sep 26 2022 6:44 PM In reply to

Re: A rant about MC only useable on 1 computerat a time

Oh, the horror etc.:
    It seems I can only use my MC software on one system at a time. Is this correct?

Yes

Media Composer 2022.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Sep 26 2022 7:13 PM In reply to

If you pay for one Media Composer license, you obtain one Media Composer license, and it can be activated on one device at a time. With Cloud Activation which was released in November 2021, the ability to activate and deactivate is now incredibly simple and fast.

Avid is not Adobe, and Adobe is not Avid. Neither company makes decisions based on what the other is doing. I appreciate that both apps edit video, but that is the limit of their comparison. They service very different customers and workflows. If Premiere serves your needs better on any particular kind of project, then use Premiere.

For my freelance, I own multiple licenses for Media Composer.  In any given edit I'm working on, I have one license (usually Ultimate) running on my primary system, which is Windows-based.  I have a second license with just ScriptSync running on a second computer, which is a Mac.  This gives me access to two separate OS versions, which allows me to have zero issues guaranteeing my clients that I'll be able to open whatever kinds of files they throw at me. 

The cost of having two licenses for Media Composer is factored into every estimate and invoice I generate for clients. 

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.7. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12.2 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager

• Tue, Sep 27 2022 1:17 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 228
    • Points 2,870

Oh, the horror etc.:

It seems I can only use my MC software on one system at a time. Is this correct?  With my Adobe Premiere I can use on two computers simultaneoucly and Adobe keeps track of this. I get all the Adobe Creative suite and the abolity to use on 2 systems simultaneously. Avid requires me to activate and deactivate everytime I cange systems. This quite frankly stinks. Am I wrong about this. Argue how ever you would like but Adobe versus Avid but to me Adobe seems a much better deal. I am equally comfortable with either and Adobe is much less of a headache to deal with and has very spiffy customer support if issues come up. Also cheaper

Thanks

I'm sorry but your are very incorrect on Adobe's license. Emphasis below added.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-apps-number-of-computers.html

On how many computers can I install my Adobe app?

You can install your app(s) on two or more computers.

You can activate and remain signed in to the app(s) on up to two computers.

You can USE your app on ONLY ONE computer at a time

HP zBook 17 G3, G4, G5, G6; HP z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, HP Z2 mini G4, Z2 mini G5, Dell Precision 3420 & 3430, Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 24 2022 1:51 PM In reply to

Ok thanks I guess I wasn't just incorrect but "very" incorrect". Cannot deactivate software on my computer in order activate on other no matter how many times I push the radial button. It will not deactivate. Can Avid go to the Adobe model where you can only use on one computer at a time please but they remain active ? Saves last minute surprises. Made me buy a months software which I shouldn't have had to. It would be great to get a refund somehow.

Thanks

• Mon, Oct 24 2022 2:51 PM In reply to

Not quite sure what you mean here...

Is the issue yoou cannot deactivate?  That's easily fixed.  Just email me your System ID and MyAvid account to chris.bove@avid.com and I can take a look at what might be going on.

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.7. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12.2 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller