Latest post Wed, Aug 24 2022 4:09 PM by Mercer. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 17 2022 7:34 PM

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 724
    • Points 10,795

Ultimate vs. Perpetual licenses

Hi 

I received a mail from Avid recommending I switch from a perpetual license (dongle) to an Ultimate subscription. 

The price appears to be substantially cheaper with more features offered in the Ultimate package  - the only downside I can see is that you then lose access to the software if you stop subscribing (like Adobe CC) - whereas with a perpetual license and dongle you won't ever lose access to Avid MC  - albeit you will only have access to the version you were on when you stopped subscribing. 

The added features and the price may make this a better option- but 

I do use MC on both a laptop and a PC so I swap the dongle as required depending on when and where I am working - is this easy to do with a software license (Adpbe CC allows a single license to be used across 2 PC's is this the same with Ultimate) - it is still a single user at a time (me) but I do enjoy this flexibility. 

Anyone else made the move -  other views / gotchas / pitfalls  on this would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks 

Neil 

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 17 2022 9:12 PM In reply to

Re: Ultimate vs. Perpetual licenses

Hang on to that dongle!

In ten years time, after you have retired, you will be asked to boot up an old project; that trusty old dongle will allow, (if you can find an OS and MC version that still works with it.) I am keeping mine!

Symphony 2018.12.13 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, SNS SANmp... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 17 2022 9:24 PM In reply to

Dongles will be phased out in the next few years, though...

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 18 2022 6:46 AM In reply to

If I were you I would keep my dongle and existing MC version and buy a new subscription. It is of course nice to keep the dongle up to date as well but more expensive as you already saw. The benefit of a crossgrade of your dongle compared to just buying a new subscription license is low in my opinion.

Moving the license, deactivating - activating, between computers can be done, but it was up until recently not as reliable as with your dongle. Avid introduced a new version of Avid link with new servers called cloud licensing which are supposed to be more reliable. Time will tell if that is true.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Jul 18 2022 3:48 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 724
    • Points 10,795

Hi 

Thanks for the responses - I think that the option of keeping the dongle with the license frozen at the last version before my subscription expires and then taking out a new subscription is a good one. 

Looking at the feature matrix I am not even sure I would need the Ultimate option as I have lived without Phrasefind and Scriptsync up until now and even without Symphony on my current version - I do occassionally subscribe to the symphony option for a month or two when needed but it is not used every day. 

Are there any other compelling reasons to go Ultimate over standard MC?

With two licenses there will be no need to worry about swtiching licenses between machines and in fact both can then be open at the same time - this will be more convenient as well. 

And I do ensure that -  as per above - I willl always be able to open old projects if for some reason I stop subscribing. 

regards

Neil 

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 18 2022 6:29 PM In reply to

If you don't need PhraseFind and ScriptSync and don't always need Symphony, AND you don't need Shared Bins/Projects, you're probably better off with an MC Standard subscription, rather than crossgrading to Ultimate.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 19 2022 1:17 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    AND you don't need Shared Bins/Projects,

Hi Job,

A small correction. Perpetual licenses, and therefor dongles, always support shared Avid storage. Only the standard subscription doesn't.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Jul 19 2022 2:11 PM In reply to

That is exactly what I was trying to infer. 
    If someone is on perpetual right now, the options would be

- crossgrade to Ultimate (with a temporary discount) 

- let perpetual lapse and start Ultimate (no disount)

- let perpetual lapse and start Standard (cheapest, but only useful if you don't need shared bins/projects, be they Avid or 3rd party)

• Tue, Jul 19 2022 4:09 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Got it. Smile

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Jul 22 2022 10:14 AM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 724
    • Points 10,795

Yip - and Standard is pretty much what I have with my current dongle activated version 

• Fri, Jul 22 2022 10:33 AM In reply to

I've recently been activating and deactiviating various different licenses on multiple machines due to all sorts of nonsense with our old Mac Pros and with the lastest version of Link installed it all worked without a hitch, to Avid's credit. Deactivating on one and then reactivating the same license on another machine worked first time every time I tried it. I love a dongle as much as the next man but so far so good.  Well done Avid!

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 22 2022 11:44 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,339
    • Points 15,205

Job ter Burg:

If someone is on perpetual right now, the options would be

- crossgrade to Ultimate (with a temporary discount) 

- let perpetual lapse and start Ultimate (no disount)

- let perpetual lapse and start Standard (cheapest, but only useful if you don't need shared bins/projects, be they Avid or 3rd party)

Or let perpetual lapse, continue locked to current version and do a monthly rental as and when you need a more up to date version. (I suspect there will be a reinstatement offer at some point to get some of those dormant perpetual licenses paying a support fee again).  

• Fri, Jul 22 2022 1:03 PM In reply to

TrevorA:
    Or let perpetual lapse, continue locked to current version and do a monthly rental as and when you need a more up to date version.

Indeed. Letting a perpetual license lapse still lets you use the last version it was supported under. No need to rush to a new version, other than for specific features or compatibility.

TrevorA:
    I suspect there will be a reinstatement offer at some point to get some of those dormant perpetual licenses paying a support fee again
    We're not allowed to speculate, but I sincerely doubt it, as Avid are moving away from perpetual with support fees. Everything will be subscription-based.

https://www.avid.com/resource-center/avid-media-composer-in-2022-lets-talk-licensing

• Tue, Jul 26 2022 6:38 AM In reply to

I am a spammer. I've been moderated. Hopefully I won't be able to post again. Happy editing, everyone!

• Tue, Jul 26 2022 4:26 PM In reply to

JamesHimmerla:
    the major benefit of a subscription software model is the ease and simplicity for you

It makes you coffee in the morning, washes your dishes, washes your clothes and irons them... foot massage...

Soon it will make the sun come up in the morning and provide world peace! 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller