Latest post Sun, Jun 26 2022 9:30 AM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 24 2022 9:23 AM

Dongle Crap

Really why are Dongles no longer going to be supported. I move around to multiple loacations/offices and systems with my Dongle which has always worked and is just ever so simple to use. What stupid protocol is going to be required now? Activating and deactivating a license is nothing more than a pita.

I suggest that Avid fixes this or maybe this becomes the straw that broke the camels back and I move on to something else permanently, like say Davinci Resolve. The crap that Avid has put all of us through over the years is really worn thin and they are going to lose people with this one.

Mac Pro - 5,1 - 2 x 3.46ghz 6 Core Xeons Sierra 10.12.6 64gb of OWC RAM GTX-980Ti Video Card Avid Nitris DX Symphony 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 24 2022 10:02 AM In reply to

Re: Dongle Crap

Brent Marginet:
    Really why are Dongles no longer going to be supported.

Chris Bové from Avid answered this in a blog post:

https://www.avid.com/resource-center/avid-media-composer-in-2022-lets-talk-licensing

There's a lot of good information there, but if you're looking for a short answer:

...during the process of creating Media Composer 2021.12, Avid learned that the manufacturer of the dongles used by Media Composer would not be updating their driver software to be compatible with Mac M1, M1 Pro and M1 Max’s or macOS 12.x Monterey.

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jun 24 2022 11:29 AM In reply to

Thanks Carl.  I can add to that as well.

I know, it's really a bummer that the world has gone away from dongles. I'll be missing them too. I still have a few, and I'm glad that they'll be supported on Media Composer versions at least for a few more years. Plus, they'll keep working forever (or... as "forever" as can be reasonably assumed in the chaotic computing industry) on existing versions.

The decision to leave dongles isn't some sort of a sinister plot. Dongles and other chip-based activation and recognition devices are gone everywhere.  Even those wristbands that Disney took a gamble on (article) are no longer available (article).  It's exactly what all of the news articles over the last few years are talking about when they say "supply chain issues". 

Avid actively, actively, actively searched the whole dongle market for other companies and replacement technology. While doing so, a few things became blatantly clear:

- No dongle makers out there were able to guarantee supply chain
    - No dongle makers out there were able to keep costs down in a reliable way
    - No other NLEs or other creative apps out there have new plans for dongles either

This is not even touching on the fragile nature of dongles.  At Avid, I see the RMA process crippling people all of the time. If someone takes their 15-year-old dongle home in their jeans pocket, and come to find that it broke in the process, it can take up to a whole month to replace it... and usually, again due to supply chain issues, we have to replace it with another used dongle because our own supply is dwindling. 

So, everyone has been scrambling for ways to keep the activation process as reliable as possible. Disney is moving to a sort of a bluetooth-y thing that can also be loaded onto a smartphone or smart watch. Avid already has the activation process with Link, so there's no additional costs to the users.

I have no idea if dongle makers and suppliers will ever recover from everything that's going on.  If there's a future point where chip making finds a new "joy" and all of a sudden the supply chain is gloriously plentiful, I'm sure that new conversations will happen... but those conversations will also have to wait until the OS makers, like Apple, have their conversations to decide whether to support them again. 

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.7. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12.2 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager

• Sat, Jun 25 2022 6:32 AM In reply to

Chris,

Besides supply chain issues, it was obvious that dongles presented a cost issue when the prices of media composer started dropping to under $2500,- many years ago. At the time a dongle option (does it still exist? I need to check price book) would cost around $500,- which considering the work to program each individual dongle was a reasonable price. But as software licensing started to become the default standard in the market and the use of dongles dropped it seems the economic interest for the dongle manufacturers also quickly faded. So I believe their interest to overcome the supply chain issues was also caused by the general lack of demand due to the market's and Avid's commercial changes.

If it is a viable option for Avid to maintain support for the existing dongle users still out there without selling new dongles, I can't say. Apple M1 support being dropped also clearly showing it is going to be touch. But as long as software licensing is a viable alternative, and we all know it had its issues with Avid products, I guess we all have to accept it is the way forward.

But I would like to take the question of Brent one step further and replace the word 'dongle' with 'perpetual license' as these are closely related and left out of your response.

What I would like to ask is for Avid share its policy for the expansion of the subscription model for all its products. For the 'client licenses', typically Media composer and Mediacentral cloud UX, I can understand this policy even if I believe it would be better to leave the choice up to the customers. The ability to ALSO have temporary client subscripton licenses for Mediacentral production and Cloud UX would definitly be welcome.

But to cancel perpetual licenses for server products like on premise Nexis, iNews, iNews command, Airspeed, Fastserve, Mediacentral capture, etc.. makes no sense whatsoever. These products have always had perpetual licenses and their function and use imply that requirement. Especially in the case of on premise Nexis, which didn't inlcude a user installable license, the new 'replace support with subscription' idea is not something many customers are going to consider a good idea.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sat, Jun 25 2022 9:13 PM In reply to

So then why would my DaVinci Resolve Dongle still work on Monterey. Needing to activate and deactivate a sytem as often as I need to is just a pain.

Mac Pro - 5,1 - 2 x 3.46ghz 6 Core Xeons Sierra 10.12.6 64gb of OWC RAM GTX-980Ti Video Card Avid Nitris DX Symphony 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 25 2022 11:45 PM In reply to

So here's another level of stupidity. If I disable SIP the Dongle works on Monterey. So now I will have to disable it at each location and then re-enable it at the end of my day, each day, wasting time through multiple system reboots. So evidently all that is needed is to let the extension load with SIP enabled.

As far as I'm concerned Sentinnel or Avid must fix this for all of us who still cherish our Dongles. This deprecation of the Dongle is going to be nothing more than a PITA.

• Sun, Jun 26 2022 9:30 AM In reply to

Brent Marginet:
    As far as I'm concerned Sentinnel or Avid must fix this

I really hope Sentinel (and Pace) is going to. But if Avid can make them do it...?

If only to avoid any excuse to oblige the whole user base to buy into subscription, a purpose is served.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller