Latest post Sat, Aug 6 2022 8:53 PM by David Yardley. 42 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 21 2022 9:02 PM In reply to

Re: Avid media composer 2018

I got those links. Very useful. I already knew most of the tricks but the links are handy. I thank you. I will keep them on my list of tech support so I can link them to editors I work with when they need to set up 2022 to look as much like the last known stable version of the software they've been using for 30 years.

Thank you all for your help and thank you Avid for your continued support

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 9:16 PM In reply to

The old shortcut was command+W.

I did learn this already, but thank you! My example is for the umteen-billion questions I get when somebody else chooses the systems to use. When it winds up with the new interface I get these questions over and over again.

Yes, learn the new way... but NO... 30 years+

IDK who is editing what these days but for sure Quinten Tarantino isn't using editors who are under 40 to my knowledge.

In fact I'm a career assistant editor and a musician.. I have no desire to edit... and I'm 50. I'm not the only one... 

• Wed, Jun 22 2022 8:34 AM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:
    I don't like 2018 because as I say I haven't used it very much, and dislike it in comparison to what we have now.

Hi Philip,

While I fully understand your preference and understanding the world has to move on, I would suggest you spend an hour or so searching for the history of Avid and for example the period just after the year 2000. When we were using Xpress (pro), Media composer and Symphony on so called Meridien systems. Often running on an Apple Powermac 9600.

The point is to get an idea of the progress (or lack of it) Avid, and specifically media composer, has made and to get a feeling for what the consequences are of having to stay backwards compatible in every new version with (a limited set of) previous versions. What is needed to be able to open a project, bin and sequence of 20 years ago and how that affects Avids ability to make big changes in their software today.

Combine that with integration with Avid storage (Unity, ISIS, Nexis), Media management databases (Interplay), Newsroom (iNews), Ingest/Playout (Airspeed) and graphics (Pinacle, Orad, Maestro,..) and how each of these products also go through their development cycle and it will become clear pretty quickly how complex maintaining compatibily within development is. And when you get a picture of the complexity, you start understanding how much time and money Avid had to invest in testing each of these versions in combination with most of the supported hardware/software. And now there are also many 3rd parties that integrate.

The 'old' people here including myself (no offence to anyone) have learned to appreciate the relative reliability of Avid. As a result many developments went very slow and yes many complained about that for decades. Avid isn't called a dinosaur for nothing.

Now what I believe to be the underlying subject in this thread is the balance act Avid has to make between profit, cost, quality control and development time. Times change and Avid has to move its products forward to keep them relevant in the modern media industry. But there is a point where cost cutting and time pressure start reflecting themselves in quality degradation. To the point where a TV station, production house or single edit suite/one man business can't meet its deadlines. I can tell you we reached that stage at the end of 2019 beginning 2020 with several products.

While Avid recently understood quality needed better safeguarding, it is still in the process of ironing out bugs that should have been caught a long time ago or never pass QC in the first place. The title tool on mac being one of the clearest examples. But the media offline issues with Nexis client, Media indexer and dynamic relink also being show stoppers. At this moment there are still a few outstanding performance issues when using Mediacentral production management that might have already been fixed in 2022.4.

And maybe 2022.6 or a version coming out later in 2022 or 2023 will make many of us happy again with the new UI. I really hope so. But until that time 2018.12.15 it is!

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Wed, Jun 22 2022 10:08 AM In reply to

It says a lot for the development since 2018 that so few industry users have upgraded.

We are told that the development is what users want and things like improved colour correction reinstatement of a working simple tile tool to just aren't warranted.

And yet the industry disagrees.

Is the conclusion that the previous Avid market of users isn't to be the future market?

Should current users be directed to a different place to feedback. Not to develop and improve just to reminisce of the product as it once was.

The the Adobe Premiere army can take over the development direction. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Wed, Jun 22 2022 10:55 AM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    Should current users be directed to a different place to feedback. Not to develop and improve just to reminisce of the product as it once was.

Pat,

The number of people worldwide that, for example, would like to go back to using SD on tape, can be counted on a few hands I believe. The majority in this business has understood that in our age of 'subscription + on demand/streaming also using mobile devices' the demands are different.

But whatever tool one chooses, when the product doesn't perform the advertised functionality, whether or not it meets the demands of the current market becomes a mute discussion imho. 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Jun 22 2022 11:01 AM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

And maybe 2022.6 or a version coming out later in 2022 or 2023 will make many of us happy again with the new UI. I really hope so. But until that time 2018.12.15 it is!

Understood, Thank you for contributing. Very helpful

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Wed, Jun 22 2022 11:03 AM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

It says a lot for the development since 2018 that so few industry users have upgraded.

Jeroen van Eekeres:

But whatever tool one chooses, when the product doesn't perform the advertised functionality, whether or not it meets the demands of the current market becomes a mute discussion imho. 

understood

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Fri, Jul 22 2022 8:24 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,339
    • Points 15,205

Philip Kapadia:

once they take the time to learn and understand the interface, they won't go back.

Hmm. Some places are still 2018, some are 2022. Like the old days we have to be able to cut on what's in front of us.

I'm at 80%+ Adobe these days though. Even though their 2022 version has quite a few bugs + annoyances. Avid, for me, is almost entirely restricted to big sports + entertainment events/broadcasters invested in gear + workflows. (I let my perpetual support lapse with the push for subscription last year + haven't needed it.)

• Fri, Jul 22 2022 1:20 PM In reply to

TrevorA:
    Like the old days we have to be able to cut on what's in front of us.

And like the old days you would expect that, on average, the new versions increase that ability. The argument being if since the introduction of the new ui in version 2019 this is the case.

The 2022.x version are definitly a big step in the right direction. We might actually have reached a point where we can indeed upgrade to 2022.7. But as we come from 'the old days', bitten over the years, especially the last 3, by the 'bugs', we have learned to doubt and confirm the updates prior putting our income at risk.

• Sat, Aug 6 2022 3:01 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Posts 1,202
    • Points 14,855

Im a luddite on 2018 for my own system - its NEVER run more stableYes - but am often forced to use the messy bins versions elsewhere.  I've been putting the issues down to me not 'getting it' but when an Avid editor of over 20 years experience cant get the effect editor up and active on his usual effect mode shortcut its bad.  Had to a do a massive workaround at one facilty to get my quickfire workspaces to function - programme all new worklspaces - how on earth does someone new to Avid have ANY chance with that?

I fully expect its not intuitive enough for me to 'get it' so can take some blame but I truly hate it. So much I cancelled my software support contract as I never want to switch to it.  CTRL+SHIFT+= for settings??? All those messy unpredictable priority bins with so many project windows sidebars to disable?  The way you can tab bins together in 2018 was all that you needed - half the time i cant find stuff now as the bins have a mind and priority of their own.

Few editors like it in my experience - for I moan on site too, over a cup of tea and bang the edit desk LOLWink

Symphony 2018.12.10, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 11.1 (unsatisfactory in full res UHD though for client monitor), WIN 10 on 2500Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K4200, Asus X99-A Mobo, i7 5820K 4.0 GHz Hex core mildly overclocked CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10 array @ 450Mbs

• Sat, Aug 6 2022 3:33 PM In reply to

Hey Diesele, 

Hope you're well, Thanks for your post on my thread!

Yes, the shortcut for settings took me a while to get used to but now I can't live without it. Likewise control+shift will pull up the settings for the active panel eg: Control+shift while highlighting the timeline will bring up the timeline settings... same thing for the composer, etc. 

If you drag a bin by its 'tab' while holding alt near another bin, it will tab to it just like it did in the past. Alt dragging anything will tab it. 

Does that help at all?

Editing Movie Magic.

• Sat, Aug 6 2022 5:56 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Posts 1,202
    • Points 14,855

It does mate - although I knew of these things - it goes green doesnt it - I still end up in a mess though when i open new bins etc.  I used to be so organised and neat in my monitors - im probably fighting it and it me! Do you have any iodea why effect editor doesnt connect to the effect id like to edit - it pops up but is greyed out.  I open it again via tools menu rather than 'effect' workspace shortcut and it connects.  So frustrating.

Symphony 2018.12.10, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 11.1 (unsatisfactory in full res UHD though for client monitor), WIN 10 on 2500Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K4200, Asus X99-A Mobo, i7 5820K 4.0 GHz Hex core mildly overclocked CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10 array @ 450Mbs

• Sat, Aug 6 2022 8:53 PM In reply to

Dear chap,

I too share your frustration; but yes, we maybe old, but not luddites! There are long lists of things that would help our workflow, these UI changes are not in that list...

Symphony 2018.12.13 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, SNS SANmp... [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller