Latest post Wed, May 18 2022 9:53 PM by Philip Owens. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 18 2022 5:13 PM

Is it possible to create new user profile, and import previous settings?

Everybody knows this one - every tech suppport contact usually begins with "have you created a new user profile", and while I understand the need for support to ensure user profile cruft isn't causing an issue, it's a nightmare request as to recreate all those little tweaks one makes to the UI, tools and workflow is next to impossible.

Is it possible to create a new user profile that satisfies the requirements of cruft-elimination, and then import all one's previous settings,without screwing up this new profile with the problem all over again?   Without this ability, I am so frustrated with constantly creating new profiles.

MBP 2020, 2.5Ghz 8 Core, 64GB RAM, 8GB VRAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 18 2022 9:08 PM In reply to

Re: Is it possible to create new user profile, and import previous settings?

Yes of course. 

Create the new user profile and confirm issue is resolved (if its not then possibly the old user profile isn't at fault)

If the systems stable then use file open settings file.

Along side your user settings screen.

You can now drag from the old user file to your user settings.

But you need to do it in sma batches and re test. Otherwise you risk dragging across the duff setting. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Wed, May 18 2022 9:19 PM In reply to

Thanks Pat.  Not sure I understand this though?   Maybe it's cos I'm on 2022.4, but I don't see File > Open Settings File?  Or in the Preferences menu, I don't see a way to drag and drop anything?

Pat Horridge:

If the systems stable then use file open settings file.

Along side your user settings screen.

You can now drag from the old user file to your user settings.

But you need to do it in sma batches and re test.

• Wed, May 18 2022 9:41 PM In reply to

I'm on a system in the morning so will check. 

But it's under one of the top menus while you have the user settings window open.

I'm also on 2022 version but it's been there for ages. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Wed, May 18 2022 9:49 PM In reply to

Hi.

You can copy all of the settings your prefer from you old user profile. 

cj

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

Christian Jhonson

Avid Ambassador                                 

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Wed, May 18 2022 9:53 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    it's under one of the top menus while you have the user settings window open.

Aha!   Never noticed that the contents of the File menu changed when that was open - I think I can figure out from here, thank you so much Pat!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller