Latest post Wed, May 4 2022 4:44 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 4 2022 10:27 AM

Avid to Premiere Pro

Hi

I work at an American TV Station gearing up for a massive graphics change. I'm in the promotion department. We use video shot and used in Avid by the news department every day to make topical news promos: "Today on the five o'clock news, you'll see this story -- another story -- plus the weather forecast. Stay tuned!"

Speed is of the essence in making these. For a 5PM newscast, we need our audio & video by 3:30, and the completed spots are in master control by 4:00 to air during the next hour. That's a fast turnaround.

So far, we've been able to edit the promos in Avid. But the graphics package change mandates that we make the promos in Premiere Pro; they must include animated text made using PP's Essential Graphics feature.

So is there a way to get rough-cut video & audio in an Avid timeline into PP, maintaining the Avid timeline layers, without time-consuming exporting? If we can, how do we do it?

We have no clue how to go about doing it. We don't even know where to start -- no one here has ever tried it. The Avid manual is no help if you don't know the arcane Avid terminology -- a search would be pointless.

I hope someone here can engage in a little hand-holding, walking us through the process. Schooling us in the Avid terminology and pointing us in the direction of the germane training resources.

Thanks!

• Wed, May 4 2022 3:30 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,470
    • Points 18,260

Re: Avid to Premiere Pro

Linked Avid media and timelines translate pretty well into PPro via AAF -- assuming it has not been massively manipulated or effect-laden.

That said.  If you're doing :30 promos, exporting shouldn't take very long --especially if you're adding all the titles and effects in Premiere

• Wed, May 4 2022 3:34 PM In reply to

Hello, 

Yes - AAFs would be the best way to go. 

This might help: https://youtu.be/uxnpClK84a4

Any reason you need to edit in Avid? If you need Premiere for graphics, you might aswell start in Premiere.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Wed, May 4 2022 4:44 PM In reply to

You could try an Avid AAF export imported in to PP but its not perfect and you risk hickups.

If you can manage with the video baked down I'd export the AV as a flat track out of Avid bring into PP and then add graphics.

If you need to keep the timelines complete with the clips etc then especially on the Audio side be prepared to test and test and test....

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller