Latest post Mon, Apr 4 2022 9:32 AM by Avid-Freund. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 31 2022 3:33 PM

Adjust or normalize audio volume before transcoding

Hi, MC can AMA-Link to video files with 32 bit audio, but not consolidate those videos or transcode to another format that keeps the 32 bit audio. As the volume of my clips is either a little too high or a little more too low, I was wondering if there is any way in avid to adjust the volume of the tracks before transcoding to 24 bit and so avid clipping or excessive noise.

I am editing on a very old macbook pro / mid 2012 with 16 GB ram Using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 And usually the newest AVID Version / right now its 2020... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 3 2022 2:05 PM In reply to

Re: Adjust or normalize audio volume before transcoding

Hi, You should be able to right click your audio clip in your bin > audio > audio gain > and adjust the gain source side. Then you can transcode that clip. 

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sun, Apr 3 2022 3:42 PM In reply to

But that gain change won't be baked in and it will be applied after the conversion to 24bit. The OP is trying to optimize the gain _before_ reducing the bit depth.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 3 2022 7:32 PM In reply to

Oh I see.. sorry I misread. 

It's a bit of a workaround but, what if you created a timeline for each clip > apply the gain effect via the audiosuite (or use the audio mixer) to the clip > then mixdown the audio clip to the desired bit depth? That way you bake the audio adjustment in.

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sun, Apr 3 2022 7:46 PM In reply to

I think the base problem is MC doesn't support 32bit audio. And even if it could link or import (which I doubt) it would need to process the volume change in 32bit (which I am quite certain it won't). So then you'd be losing the extra footroom/dynamic detail the OP is trying to preserve.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 3 2022 8:49 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

I think the base problem is MC doesn't support 32bit audio. And even if it could link or import (which I doubt) it would need to process the volume change in 32bit (which I am quite certain it won't). So then you'd be losing the extra footroom/dynamic detail the OP is trying to preserve.

Understood. 

Surely ProTools would be a better tool to use for this? Why would you want to mix 32bit in MC? Can you hear the difference? I don't know. 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Mon, Apr 4 2022 6:40 AM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:
    Why would you want to mix 32bit in MC?
    Because it's a modern recording format, aimed at preserving a larger dynamic range throughout the chain. Much like 4:4:4 in video. 32bit 96K is a great way to preserve original details in the recording which allow for far better processing down the chain (think very subtle foley sounds, large orchestra's, and/or applying retimings on sounds).

But in this case, the source files seem to have low modulation (which isn't a problem at all in 32bit) so the OP is looking to raise the levels in a 32bit space before truncating down to 24bit, thereby making way more efficient use of the avilable 24bits than a straight bit conversion would accomplish.

And yes, depending on content type, low-modulated 32bit converted to 24bit, and then applying any type of gain in a 24bit world environment would become problematic. It's more or less the equivalent of transcoding very lowly exposed HDR camera footage to 8bit SDR before applying any LUTs, and then starting to color grade from that transcoded footage. You'd be losing an enormous mount of detail throughout.

• Mon, Apr 4 2022 9:19 AM In reply to

Remember lowering 32bit to 24bit removes the lower 8bits of data. That's the fine detail and if the source levels are low those retained upper bits coukd hold little data.

If I was doing that I be boosting the gain till just under clipping before reducing bit depth.

There may even be a mathematical way to do it in whole bit steps. That would be ideal. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Mon, Apr 4 2022 9:32 AM In reply to

Thanks for all your help! I have to work with 32 bit for this project. So I guess there is absolutely no solution and I cannot work with avid. Thats a big bummer. I guess I will switch to FCPX for this project, as I can work natively with those video and audio codecs..

I am editing on a very old macbook pro / mid 2012 with 16 GB ram Using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 And usually the newest AVID Version / right now its 2020... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller