Latest post Tue, Apr 12 2022 3:50 PM by Aren Hansen. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 10 2022 8:20 PM

• Aren Hansen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 15 2016
    • Toronto
    • Posts 83
    • Points 915

AVID randomly unable to play timeline

Hi,

Every 10 minutes of editing or so, AVID is suddently unable to PLAY the timeline. When I hit play/spacebar, the play button flashes green and the audio meters flash. But it doesn't play. (The source plays fine.)

I can make this issue temporarily go away and buy myself another 5-10 minutes of editing by doing various things, such as:

Resizing the composer window or zooming the composer window

Enabling/Disabling a video track and sometimes even an audio track

Changing my system's audio out

Turning on off my blackmagic or ndi out

And more!

This is driving me insane and I'm in the middle of a huge show for one of the streamers. 

I've tried dozens of things to fix this, such as completely disabling every piece of hardware, plug-ins and changing every conceivable setting that might have something to do with buffering, caching, audio or video 'output', but to no avail. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

My system:

macOS 10.15.7

AVID 2021.12

iMac i9 72gb ram/Radeox Vega 56 

BM eGPU pro -> UHD editing monitor

BM intensity shuttle -> HD playback monitor 

GRAID and OWC drives  

MC 2021.12 // OS10.15.7 // iMac 2019 3.6 i9 // 72GB Ram // Vega 48 // BM eGPU pro with Vega 56 // BM Intensity Shuttle // UHD editing monitors // HD client... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 10 2022 8:30 PM In reply to

Re: AVID randomly unable to play timeline

Aren.

I would say this is the fix:

Enabling/Disabling a video track and sometimes even an audio track.

You might have corrupt clip, try to localiza the culprit.

cj

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

Christian Jhonson

Avid Ambassador                                 

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Thu, Mar 10 2022 8:38 PM In reply to

• Aren Hansen
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 83
    • Points 915

No, this happens across all my stuff. Various timelines with different scenes and media.

MC 2021.12 // OS10.15.7 // iMac 2019 3.6 i9 // 72GB Ram // Vega 48 // BM eGPU pro with Vega 56 // BM Intensity Shuttle // UHD editing monitors // HD client... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 10 2022 8:45 PM In reply to

Aren.

Please check this out.

***** MCDEV-12926. (macOS) If you have upgraded to macOS 10.15.4, there is a known issue with local attached RAID storage. The system will hang when running Media Composer or copying large files.
    This does not happen with earlier versions of the OS. You can read details about this issue in this blog.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en267087

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

Christian Jhonson

Avid Ambassador                                 

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Thu, Mar 10 2022 9:41 PM In reply to

• Aren Hansen
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 83
    • Points 915

I would definitely not consider this a 'hang'. Appreciate the effort Christian!

• Tue, Apr 12 2022 3:50 PM In reply to

• Aren Hansen
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 83
    • Points 915

The fix ended up being to move the HD, which was at the back of a chain of TB3 devices to the front. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller