Latest post Thu, Mar 10 2022 9:05 AM by Bruno M. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 4 2022 8:12 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 243
    • Points 3,475

Typeon animation in Marquee (help!)

I'm using an animation script in Marquee for the first time, so I'm hoping there are sone hardcore marquee users out there who can advice me...

I am making a number of caption paragraphs which will be animated onto the timeline using the typeon script in Marquee which results in an animated clip whereby the text is "typed" one letter at a time.

I can find no settings or adjustments in Marquee for cusomising the script. Whatever text I enter is then animated as a 5 second clip, with a fixed equal interval between each letter appearing. If I want the full caption to stay on the screen after it is built up, I must save the full caption as a separate (unanimated) still - task that must be performed before the typeon animation is applied to the clip, because afterwards, I can't find out how to disable the typeon effect.

The problem is that the length of the resulting clip is fixed at 5 seconds. For a shot "one liner" this takes to long to appear to be "typed" - for a larger paragraph it all happens too fast. I would like to be able to define the duration of the entire clip, and/or the interval between the animated parts (1 part = 1 character). Fixing the interval would enable me to arrive at the same seemingly authentic "typing speed" on screen.

I thought that I might be able to arrange this on the timeline, in the same way as a marquee end-credit roll may be edited into between two in/out points on the timeline, but this approach doesn't work for typeon effects - If I let the timeline define the length of the clip, it will either be cut off midway through the animation, or it will not be long enough to fit, because the imported clip has a fixed duration of 5 seconds.

Does anyone know a trick/workaround/respectable solution?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Mar 4 2022 8:26 PM In reply to

Re: Typeon animation in Marquee (help!)

The only thing I know for sure is about the duration of the animated title. In Marquee's File menu, select Duration, and you can set whatever time you want for the resulting animated title.

{edited} Given that information, I think the way you do this is build the completed title first and save it. Then switch to an animated title, set the duration for however you want, and apply the type-on script. The combination of the two titles should work.

I have a hunch there's a way to do it with keyframes in Marquee, but I'm not sure of that.

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Mar 5 2022 1:20 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 243
    • Points 3,475

Thanks Carl - I eventually found the cunningly concealed duration setting (expected to find it on the marquee effects timeline - so that works.

It would be useful if one was also able to specify how long the completed animate contues after it is built up. I found a workaround but it is a clumsy workflow.

But thanks anyway, you solved the most important problem for me!

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Thu, Mar 10 2022 9:05 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 920
    • Points 11,770

I can remember struggling my way through Marquee many years ago!

Not many resources out there for learning this program, but this tutorial from Kevin McAuliffe might help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdKDWcM244M

It's been a long time since I used this program but I would start by changing your Toolset to Basic Animation or even Expert Animation. 

In answer to your question about animation, you can access the keyframes that make up your animation. .These are on the timeline but are hidden by default. If I remember right, by clicking the appropriate checkboxes in the Properties panel on the left of the timeline, you can filter what keyframes you need. I think you also need to expand the timeline vertically to see these keyframes. From memory, if you click the little symbol on the extreme right of the actual track (it's some sort of square) this opens up the timeline.

Once you can see the keyframes, you can adjust their position vertically (to change their value) and horizontally (I think by holding ALT and dragging) so the animation ends earlier and you get the hold you require. Also look at right-clicking on the timeline - I seem to remember this opened up some options about adding/removing keyframes. You should also be able to convert from linear to bezier here but I can't remember exactly how I did this - maybe by selecting a keyframe and right-clicking??

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller