Latest post Wed, Mar 2 2022 5:52 PM by Moveeola1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 2 2022 3:02 AM

• Moveeola1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 2 2022
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Turning all clips in a bin to 5.1

Hi, I am having to modify each clip in a bin from Stereo to 5.1 so our Dailies play outof the Center speaker. I am having to change each clip individually.

Is there a way to batch change all the clips in the bin to 5.1 from Stereo without having to load each one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stu

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 7:36 AM In reply to

Re: Turning all clips in a bin to 5.1

I wish I knew. Following.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 2 2022 9:08 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,339
    • Points 15,205

We do this all the time. Select all - modify. (You have to click through the warning and then choose 'select multichannel tracks' the first time).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1leus2cNg19LfsA6BkdrKSrC5RCE7LP-r/view?usp=sharing

I maybe misunderstanding though - cos I can never get source clips playing out of speakers as we want them, always have to edit them into a timeline first (we use a cludgy modify + direct out setting to be able to edit immersive audio tracks whilst keeping the track count down) - are you talking 'clip-modify' OR the drop-down in the audio mixer?

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 10:18 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,339
    • Points 15,205

OK - looked a bit harder and learnt more about the Avid mixer in 10 minutes than I have in the last 10 years of using it for 5.1 & immersive editing ;-)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1llgeV5FN0K7qyvnL2sRhN6RahqL5BRuX/view?usp=sharing

Item 2 is the "Mix Mode Selection button" - which is universal and reflects the audio project output setting. Choices here are many. 

Item 8 is the setting for the panning allowed - seemingly for each clip and sequence independently. Choces here are stereo/5.1/7.1

We edit 5.1 and now 16 channel immersive ignoring all those avid mixer options. We set the output (Direct SMPTE), have our timeline template routed to correct tracks & modify clips to match what they contain. 

For simple 5.1 I think you could set your output settings to be 5.1 SMPTE and modify A1-6 of your source clips, en masse, to be 5.1 SMPTE and you should get the right audio out of the right outputs, both in source and timeline. 

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 3:08 PM In reply to

Yes, but the monitoring format for source clips defaults to Stereo, and you can only change them one at a time, as far as I know. This is about monophonic production sound, one or more channels, which we'd like to play out of the center speaker, rather than L/R, as is the default.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 2 2022 4:12 PM In reply to

So if the clips you want to modify the monitoring format for, there is a hidden way. Open the Console and type AudioExtras. A menu pops up with several options, including: "Modify Clip can batch change mix format". This should let you change the monitoring format for multiple clips via Clip->Modify->set multichannel audio. I don't think it works on sync clips or subclips.

Thanks to Jeffrey Lomicka for pointing me in the right direction.

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 5:52 PM In reply to

• Moveeola1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 2 2022
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thanks for the reply and help. The clips I have are subclips from the Master Clip originals supplied by the video house. I am having to load each subclip and change from Stereo to 5.1 using the Audio Mixer pulldown. We had 5 hours of Dailies the other day so it's been a pain to modify 1 clip at a time.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller