Latest post Mon, Feb 28 2022 10:08 AM by avidscreencast. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 22 2022 11:54 AM

AAF from Premiere – Relink Woes

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get several Premiere sequences into Media Composer via AAF. It's simple selects sequences, so no fancy effects or anything. The AAF and the source files (camera footage as MXF, double system sound as WAV) are delivered via Dropbox.

Here's what I do:

1. AMA-Link all source files into MC
    2. Import the AAF
    Camera files link fine, WAVs do not:

This is what it looks like in the bin:

Tried one obvious thing: Batch Editing the linked WAVs to make the clip names identical to the AAF clip names, then relinking via Name. Did not work.

Something I noticed was that the duration of the linked WAVs is one frame off the AAF's WAVs (see image above). Could this have something to do with it? Why is that anyway?

The camera files and the WAVs have identical TCs, so as a last resort I could manually recut them. But it's going to be 7-9 selects sequences of about 1 hour, so I'd like to avoid that...

AutoSync works fine, but that only helps with the source clips, not the sequence.

So.... if anyone has any idea on how to get this to work... Eternal gratitude and a spot in the afterlife resort of your choice would be yours!

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Feb 22 2022 1:12 PM In reply to

Re: AAF from Premiere – Relink Woes

Lots of discussions on Premiere and AAF and my understanding is that Adobe haven't implemented Avids AAF protocol according to the Avid specs.

So the metadata in the Adobe AAF makes sense to Premiere but not to Media Composer. Its all uphill from there.

Yes you can get it to work but its often different issues on differnet jobs and the time wasted trying to solve problems just kills workflows.

Its therefore not a reccomended way to progress.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Tue, Feb 22 2022 6:32 PM In reply to

Well, the company in India uses Premiere and we're using Avid. So recommended or not, I've got to make it work somehow :)

But thanks!

Regards,

Christian

• Tue, Feb 22 2022 11:08 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,020
    • Points 48,520

Have you tried opening the Premiere AAF in Resolve first?  Get everything working there.  Then make an AAF out of Resolve for Avid.  This "sometimes" works.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Wed, Feb 23 2022 8:14 PM In reply to

Hi Jef,

that's a good idea. Is it possible to get an AAF without media files out of Resolve? The Deliver tab requires rendering video or audio as far as I understand.

Thanks!

Regards 

Christian 

• Thu, Feb 24 2022 8:25 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 920
    • Points 11,770

Have you tried batch importing the wavs (rather than linking) and trying to relink?

I mention this method because this was a workflow I used some time ago.

So essentially it was Link video assets and import the audio.

As you mention, the one frame difference is a little worrying, but this could be some problem with the AMA plugin.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 24 2022 1:35 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,339
    • Points 15,205

avidscreencast:

Is it possible to get an AAF without media files out of Resolve? The Deliver tab requires rendering video or audio as far as I understand.

File | Export | Timeline

(Shift+Cmd+O)

Choose AAF from the drop-down

• Mon, Feb 28 2022 10:08 AM In reply to

Man, this is embarassing ;) I actually googled how to do it and failed - when it was right in front of me all the time... Thanks!

And was able to relink in Resolve, then cut it into a new sequence (simply exporting the AAF-sequence from Resolve did not work), exporting a fresh AAF, import it into MC and relink from that. PITA, but it works!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller