Latest post Thu, Jun 2 2022 11:21 AM by DougReimers. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 3 2022 7:26 PM

How much does Avid Media Composer cost? 2022

A few months ago I complied most of the licensing options for Media Composer. Annoyingly, Avid doesn't have all of these options in one landing page, so I created my own spreadsheet. I thought I'd share it here for anyone else who can't find the license they want. I didn’t include crossgrade or enterprise pricing.  

Avid Media Composer Ultimate (Ultimate includes all the options: Script Sync, PhraseFind, NewsCutter & Symphony)

• £43 - 1 Year Commitment - Paid Monthly LINK

• £429 - 1 Year Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

• £59 - 1 Month Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

• £819 - 2 Year Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK 

• £1,199 - 3 Year Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

Avid Media Composer Ultimate (Edu discount)

• £9 - 1 Year Commitment - Paid Monthly LINK

• £79 - 1 Year Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

Avid Media Composer Standard (does not include any options)

• £21 - 1 Year Commitment - Paid Monthly LINK

• £209 - 1 Year Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

• £31 - 1 Month Subscription - Paid upfront LINK

• £1699 - Perpetual License - LINK

Avid Media Composer Standard (Edu discount)

• £249 - Perpetual License - Paid Upfront LINK

Avid Symphony Option (additional options to add to a Media Composer standard license)

• £18 - 1 Year Commitment - Paid Montly LINK

• £169 - 1 Year Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

• £22 - 1 Month Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

• £749 - Perpetual License - Paid Upfront LINK

Avid PhraseFind Option 

• £18 - 1 Year Commitment - Paid Monthly LINK

• £169 - 1 Year Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

• £22 - 1 Month Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK 

• £169 - PhraseFind Perpetual License - Paid Upfront LINK

Avid ScriptSync Option

• £18 - 1 Year Commitment - Paid Monthly LINK

• £169 - 1 Year Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

• £22 - 1 Month Subscription - Paid Upfront LINK

• £429 - Perpetual License - Paid Upfront LINK

Avid NewsCutter Option

• £429 - Perpetual License - Paid Upfront LINK

Notes:

If you need a media composer license and just one of the options (say your an online editor, you need symphony but don’t need SS, PF or NC) most of the time it’s more affordable to rent Media Composer | Standard and purchase an option separately. If you need two or more options it’s cheaper to rent Media Composer | Ultimate instead of Media Composer standard and buying options separately. 

The only way you can get a Media Composer Ultimate perpetual license would be to buy Media Composer standard, then buy the perpetual options separately. A perpetual Media Composer Ultimate would cost: £3,475 

A perpetual avid symphony licence costs almost as much as a perpetual baselight for avid plugin license!!! 

Hope this helps.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Thu, Feb 3 2022 8:05 PM In reply to

Re: How much does Avid Media Composer cost? 2022

Missing from your sheet is that Ultimate and Perpetual do include support for Nexis-style Project/Bin Sharing, whereas Standard subscriptions do not. A reason for me to not share Perpetual under Standard.

Also see http://www.terburg.com/EVEN/MC2021pricinglongterm.pdf

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 3 2022 8:13 PM In reply to

Oh I see - well I mostly work locally or with an edit share system so don't have any experience at all with nexis. That's not a deciding factor for me. I'll add this though, thank you for pointing out. 

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Thu, Feb 3 2022 8:20 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Missing from your sheet is that Ultimate and Perpetual do include support for Nexis-style Project/Bin Sharing, whereas Standard subscriptions do not. A reason for me to not share Perpetual under Standard.

I like your spreadsheet. It's a bit complicated for me though - I want a simple life at my age ha!

One thing I notice though is that you mention Symphony Perpetual isn't offered by Avid anymore. 

On this page it looks like they might do: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?rdp=1643894150390&sku=9511-65550-0 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Thu, Feb 3 2022 8:20 PM In reply to

I think you're also using the term 'buying' when you mean 'renting'. A perpetual license you buy, a subscription license is a rental.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 3 2022 8:23 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:

you mention Symphony Perpetual isn't offered by Avid anymore. 

On this page it looks like they might do

At the time I wrote that sheet, it wasn't available. Good that it's back, I'll try to amend the PDF.

Philip Kapadia:
    I want a simple life

Avid's price books have never been for those liking a simple life ;)

• Thu, Feb 3 2022 8:50 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

I think you're also using the term 'buying' when you mean 'renting'. A perpetual license you buy, a subscription license is a rental.

TY - have amended. 

Job ter Burg:

Avid's price books have never been for those liking a simple life ;)

Which is why I created this post!

Editing Movie Magic.

• Thu, Feb 3 2022 8:52 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

This is so unclear though, Wouldn't it be easier to have some sort of a "Nexis project sharing" option - like the NewsCutter option for example. This is the first time I've heard of this. 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Thu, Feb 3 2022 8:55 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:
    This is so unclear though

No kidding.

It was always part of MC. They stripped it out of the Standard Subscription. They can't strip it from perpetual as it has always been part of it, or you would end up with _some_ perpetual licenses supporting shared projects and some not. We're sortof back to years ago, with Xpress, Media Composer and Symphony as three different variations on the same core products, each with their feature sets. They simplified it to make more sense, everything became Media Composer. And that now has been split up into perpetual (with AND without dongle), and two types of subscription (each with different pricing depending on contract length) plus the add-ons (of which PhraseFind proves to be 99 cts cheaper to buy outright compared to renting it for a year).

• Thu, Feb 3 2022 8:56 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:
    Which is why I created this post!

I created my PDF in answer to the questions I get from dozens of colleagues every year, and really tried to make it simple. It just isn't.

• Thu, Feb 3 2022 9:07 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

And this is what I have never been able to fully understand although we have sold and setup hundreds of systems.. It is not a big problem, but why shared storage support is not a buyable license/option but always a combo with other options beats me.

Choosing between the options looks 'complicated' without a commercial benefit I can understand. But maybe I'm growing old.   

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Thu, Feb 3 2022 11:50 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

(of which PhraseFind proves to be 99 cts cheaper to buy outright compared to renting it for a year).

That doesn't make any logical sense 😂

Thank you Job and Jeroen for responding to this thread. 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Thu, Feb 10 2022 3:13 PM In reply to

• Jone Smit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 27 2021
    • Posts 11
    • Points 75

Hello! Thank you very much for the PDF file, it helped me a lot

• Thu, May 5 2022 10:22 AM In reply to

My suggestion is to subscribe to Avid for a month and see if you like it. The reality is that it's the industry standard for larger projects for a reason. I first learned Final Cut Pro 4, and tried switching and hated it, but once you get there it's incredibly powerful, and now when I move away from it I keep finding things I miss.

The full version will have, in a barebones kind of way, everything you need. Usually on shows I work on they use the BCC package of effects, and we colour grade in Resolve.

Don't worry about NewBlue, I'm a pro on high profile shows and I've used it a grand total of once and hated it.

It'll have a full compliment of transitions and effects, but probably not as many cool ones as Premiere comes with.

You can do colour correction in it, but it's pretty rudimentary at this point, they haven't really updated it in a long time. But you can easily do omegle.2yu.co a Resolve rountrip.

Blurs, tracking omegle.love , masks, 3D, all  included.

• Thu, Jun 2 2022 11:21 AM In reply to

If I just get the "barebones" full version of Avid, what will and will not be included? Will I be able to do color editing that's as good as Lumetri? (I can use resolve if need be though) Will I have access to basic effects such as Blurs, Tracking, Masks (preferably masks for each effect, just like premiere), and simple 3d? Will I have access to transitions akin to what premiere has, or will I have to buy those too?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller