Latest post Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:06 PM by Cole Smith. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 21 2021 9:35 PM

• Cole Smith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 21 2021
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Color correcting master clip using symphony

Hi! I'm trying to color correct a master clip that has been grouped and is already in several sequences on a documentary feature I'm assistant editing, but am having trouble getting those corrections to stick through to all instances of that clip. So far my process has been:

1) Find applicable clip -> edit group

2) go into color correction

3) select master clip from the drop down

4) apply corrections

But then those changes won't persist globally if I refresh sequences where the media appears or even appear again if I try to call up the master clip in the source monitor. Am I missing a step? Or am I on a wild goose chase and this can't really be done?

The only other option I can think to do is to make adjustments to the image using premiere, export a LUT and then apply that LUT to the master clip...but would prefer to keep it within Avid if possible. Any help is appreciated!

• Wed, Dec 22 2021 6:12 PM In reply to

Re: Color correcting master clip using symphony

Cole Smith:

Hi! I'm trying to color correct a master clip that has been grouped and is already in several sequences on a documentary feature I'm assistant editing, but am having trouble getting those corrections to stick through to all instances of that clip. So far my process has been:

1) Find applicable clip -> edit group

2) go into color correction

3) select master clip from the drop down

4) apply corrections

But then those changes won't persist globally if I refresh sequences where the media appears or even appear again if I try to call up the master clip in the source monitor. Am I missing a step? Or am I on a wild goose chase and this can't really be done?

The only other option I can think to do is to make adjustments to the image using premiere, export a LUT and then apply that LUT to the master clip...but would prefer to keep it within Avid if possible. Any help is appreciated!

Rather than going into colour correction mode in your sync map (edit group), open symphony on any sequence and select "master clip" there. 

You can't add effects in your multicamera sync map. 

I hope I understood your question!

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:06 PM In reply to

• Cole Smith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 21 2021
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: Color correcting master clip using symphony

Philip Kapadia:

Rather than going into colour correction mode in your sync map (edit group), open symphony on any sequence and select "master clip" there. 

You can't add effects in your multicamera sync map. 

I hope I understood your question!

Thank you for your response! I tried this method as well, but found similar issues when trying to add bits from those clips to new sequences. I'm wondering if maybe I'm not "opening symphony" the correct way. My process on this has been:

1. open sequence

2. then open color correction by doing to Windows -> workspaces -> color correction

3. then selecting master clip. 

When I use this method, I'm not seeing anything specifically saying "Symphony", but was also unable to see any other method of accessing features from Symphony. Have I missed something somewhere?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller