Latest post Mon, Sep 27 2021 11:54 AM by Philip Kapadia. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 22 2021 7:39 AM

2xmonitors, different resolutions,

Hi Folks not sure where to ask this question, any pointers much appreciated.

I'm running 1xHD monitor (2560x1440)  and 1x 4k monitor (3840x2160) on my PC media composer. I was hoping to have the 4k screen running at full resolution. At the moment to make the dual screens work I have to set the 4k screen to the resolution if the HD screen(2560x1440).

I have looks for answers but haven't found anything posted recently on this topic.

Many thanks Rory

• Wed, Sep 22 2021 11:59 PM In reply to

Re: 2xmonitors, different resolutions,

Rory Griffin:

Hi Folks not sure where to ask this question, any pointers much appreciated.

I'm running 1xHD monitor (2560x1440)  and 1x 4k monitor (3840x2160) on my PC media composer. I was hoping to have the 4k screen running at full resolution. At the moment to make the dual screens work I have to set the 4k screen to the resolution if the HD screen(2560x1440).

I have looks for answers but haven't found anything posted recently on this topic.

Many thanks Rory

Hello Rory, What are your system specs? Also what OS are you running?

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sat, Sep 25 2021 3:03 PM In reply to

Hey thanks for getting back to me. I am running the 2018 version of media compser (as I like the old layout) . I have a year long subscription.  I'm litterally just swapping computers. My new computer is a lenovo p620 with 16gb ram and an amd firepro 5100 card. The old computer had an intel processor.

Thing is when I installed Media composer (the latest version) on my new computer, the two screens at different resolutions worked fine BUT  I don't  want to have to spend time learning  the new layout so I am now installing the older 2018 version of media composer and it looks like the twlo screens of differenrt resolutions isn't working anymore. Could you confirm that the 2018 version of media composer won't run withe two different monitors of different resolutions. If so I will bite the bullet and learn the new version. Obviously as I'm in the middle of project this will be poainful.

Many thx Rory

• Sat, Sep 25 2021 6:17 PM In reply to

Rory Griffin:

Hey thanks for getting back to me. I am running the 2018 version of media compser (as I like the old layout) . I have a year long subscription. I'm litterally just swapping computers. My new computer is a lenovo p620 with 16gb ram and an amd firepro 5100 card. The old computer had an intel processor.

Thing is when I installed Media composer (the latest version) on my new computer, the two screens at different resolutions worked fine BUT I don't want to have to spend time learning the new layout so I am now installing the older 2018 version of media composer and it looks like the twlo screens of differenrt resolutions isn't working anymore. Could you confirm that the 2018 version of media composer won't run withe two different monitors of different resolutions. If so I will bite the bullet and learn the new version. Obviously as I'm in the middle of project this will be poainful.

Many thx Rory

To be honest with you Rory, I don't know how media composer works with two external monitors with different resolutions. I haven't tried to connect a 4k and a HD monitor together in the past, so I'll let someone with more experience chime in. Alternatively, if you have an active support contract with Avid, you could create a support case: https://youtu.be/CKqSEgg8_VA 

When you mention "At the moment to make the dual screens work I have to set the 4k screen to the resolution if the HD screen(2560x1440)" What happens when you have it set to 4K? Do you get an error message with media composer? Is the scaling all wrong? Could you perhaps send us a screenshot?

On another note though, I strongly suggest you learn the latest versions of Media Composer at some point. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube/online, and it's not that different. 

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Mon, Sep 27 2021 10:49 AM In reply to

thx for replying Phil,

I have taken your advice and am now learning the newer version of avid. Old dog new tricks  etc... Dual monitors seem to work fine in the 2021 version.

• Mon, Sep 27 2021 11:54 AM In reply to

Rory Griffin:

thx for replying Phil,

I have taken your advice and am now learning the newer version of avid. Old dog new tricks  etc... Dual monitors seem to work fine in the 2021 version.

No worries! Good luck Rory. 

Editing Movie Magic.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller