Latest post Thu, Sep 16 2021 11:08 PM by Greg Cohan. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 30 2021 9:08 PM

2021.6 Crashing When Opening Sequences

Hey friends. I'm running Avid 2021.6.0, on Big Sur 11.4. Loaded 2020 iMac. I've had a very strange recurring crash. Basically, if I'm working on a sequence and have to quit avid for whatever reason, when I open the sequence back up -- sometimes -- the software crashes after double clicking the sequence to open. All other sequences I try to open will crash as well. In order to fix the problem, I usually have to duplicate the sequence, put it in a new bin, then change my workspace (Windows -> Workspaces -> choose any) for the sequence to re-open without crashing. The bug seems really really inconsistent. But it's really throwing me off. And I feel like it has something to do with my workspace. Any ideas? Has anybody else experienced this issue with opening sequences then crashing? Appreciate you all.
  • Sun, Aug 1 2021 8:35 PM In reply to

Re: 2021.6 Crashing When Opening Sequences

allevinex001:
    Hey friends. I'm running Avid 2021.6.0, on Big Sur 11.4. Loaded 2020 iMac. I've had a very strange recurring crash. Basically, if I'm working on a sequence and have to quit avid for whatever reason, when I open the sequence back up -- sometimes -- the software crashes after double clicking the sequence to open. All other sequences I try to open will crash as well. In order to fix the problem, I usually have to duplicate the sequence, put it in a new bin, then change my workspace (Windows -> Workspaces -> choose any) for the sequence to re-open without crashing. The bug seems really really inconsistent. But it's really throwing me off. And I feel like it has something to do with my workspace. Any ideas? Has anybody else experienced this issue with opening sequences then crashing? Appreciate you all.

How many screens have you got plugged into your system? Are any of your screens on full screen playback mode? Have you tried re-setting user settings? Is MC 2021.6 the first version you're seeing this bug?

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sun, Aug 1 2021 9:28 PM In reply to

I have a 5k iMac screen, and an additional 2 4K monitors, for a total of 3. None of them with full screen playback. I noticed this issue in 2021.5 as well. 
    I have reset user settings. My assistant editor, using the same version, is also having this issue. Seems there's a separate thread about it as well.

• Tue, Aug 3 2021 9:40 AM In reply to

allevinex001:

I have a 5k iMac screen, and an additional 2 4K monitors, for a total of 3. None of them with full screen playback. I noticed this issue in 2021.5 as well. 
    I have reset user settings. My assistant editor, using the same version, is also having this issue. Seems there's a separate thread about it as well.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the mac side of things, and I've never seen this error before, so perhaps someone with more experience could chime in. Anyway...

One more thing I might try would be to re-build my media database by deleting the .mdb and .pmr files, then let MC re-build them up again. There could be something up with the media database that might cause the sequence to crash. 

Also, I don't know how well MC is playing with your high res 4K and 5K monitors. I don't think it likes monitors too far above HD. Does your assistant have the same res monitors?

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Tue, Aug 3 2021 4:30 PM In reply to

We've been rebuilding the database, which sometimes fixes the problem. But having to do it multiple times a day is just silly. My assist has regular 2k monitors.

I found a fix on another thread that works (so far) for both of us. In the console, with the bin of corrupted sequences open, typing RepairSequences seems to do the trick.

• Wed, Aug 4 2021 10:24 AM In reply to

allevinex001:

We've been rebuilding the database, which sometimes fixes the problem. But having to do it multiple times a day is just silly. My assist has regular 2k monitors.

I found a fix on another thread that works (so far) for both of us. In the console, with the bin of corrupted sequences open, typing RepairSequences seems to do the trick.

OK, fingers crossed that fixed the issue for the long term! 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Mon, Aug 9 2021 6:06 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,568
    • Points 64,850
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

You might try using a new user settings file to see if it behaves more predictably.  Using a user settings file from a older version sometimes causes "unexpected consequences".  Generally this happens between major releases but I had a weird problem with Workspaces not behaving as expected when going from 2021.5 to 2021.6.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Aug 15 2021 9:00 PM In reply to

• tudora
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 19 2012
    • Posts 24
    • Points 290

I'm having the same issue on the same system. RepairSequences doesn't work for me. Other editors on the same show have this issue as well. They are running the same version and OS. 

Filed under:
  • Thu, Sep 16 2021 11:08 PM In reply to

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 9 2015
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,090

Just saw this here is a hole chan discussing something similar.

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/202978.aspx?PageIndex=4

I sugest in consol command you try

RepairSequence 

if that does not work and your seqeunce contains subcaps...

Find another system if available and open your bin. Duplicated the sequence. Open the duplicate. Deleted the "Subcaps in the duplicated sequence and save it. Go back to the bay that crashed and opened the bin. Open the dupicate.  If it does not crash your orginal sequence should open fine now....

?????

makes no sense to me but working multiple times.   

To be fair we also did the Hokey Pokey and turned ourselves around ;-).

Good luck.

60 Systems all running MC 2021.6 0n Catalina [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller