Latest post Thu, Jan 28 2021 4:16 PM by Philip Kapadia. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 16 2020 9:50 PM

What exactly does a DNxIQ box do?

Hi all,

What does a DNxIQ/DNxID box do?  Whats the advantage of using that to a GPU displayport out?

Thanks, Philip 

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Mon, Nov 16 2020 10:12 PM In reply to

Re: What exactly does a DNxIQ box do?

It can capture video from playback devices (like VTR's or live feeds), from SDI or HDMI sources.

It is also a broadcast video output device. Unlike a GFX card's outputs, it is tailored to feed broadcast standard video signals to video monitors (or TV's).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 16 2020 10:37 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

It can capture video from playback devices (like VTR's or live feeds), from SDI or HDMI sources.

It is also a broadcast video output device. Unlike a GFX card's outputs, it is tailored to feed broadcast standard video signals to video monitors (or TV's).

Thanks for the response. 

I gather it can capture video from playback devices to media composer?

Is there a huge differance between sending a broadcast standard video signal to a video monitor via a DNxIO box vs sending a normal video signal through a GPU?

Also i notice one of the features of the DNxIQ is export video from timeline...

"To speed and ease playback and tape workflows, Avid Artist | DNxIQ offers accelerated Universal Mastering, enabling you to deliver broadcast/final masters in virtually any format, for any market. The interface offers real-time format and frame-rate conversion on all baseband SDI, HDMI, and analog output connections, making it the ideal—and most efficient—finishing companion for Media Composer with the Symphony Option."

How does that work? Does the DNxIQ render/encode the whole timeline or is it still the computer but accelerated by the DNxIQ box?

Philip 

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Tue, Nov 17 2020 8:43 AM In reply to

The universal mastering is built in hardware that allows scaling and framerate conversion in real-time. 

You just play the timeline and you get the various outputs. 

Few GPUs provide SDI outputs as required for most broadcast kit so that's useful. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Tue, Nov 17 2020 11:12 AM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

The universal mastering is built in hardware that allows scaling and framerate conversion in real-time. 

You just play the timeline and you get the various outputs. 

Few GPUs provide SDI outputs as required for most broadcast kit so that's useful. 

Thanks pat thats very informative. Just have a few follow up questions...

Yeah the SDI output benefit is quite good, but if you have a HDMI monitor, will you see a differance in quality between plugging it to one of these boxes and a GPU (all via HDMI)?

When you play your timeline where does it output the timeline to? i gather there is some software where you can specify where it exports? 

Does it render your effects on your timeline in real-time or does that still have to be done through your computer? 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, Nov 17 2020 11:32 AM In reply to

I would expect HDMI output from the box and a GPU to be very similar. Wether thats similar enough to bet you reputation on depends I guess. 

The SDI is useful as most external test gear uses SDI and not HDMI but thta is changing.

The IO box just reflects what you see in your record monitor. You can't direct it. Playback in Avid goes to either the source or record monitor in the software but via the IO box you see whichever one is active.

You can choose to disable hardware playback or diretc to to an NDI source rather than via the IO box.

The current boxes don't offer acceleration of playback effect (earlier boxes did) they only offer acceleration in terms of realtime encoding during capture. So you either get the realtime playback Avid can achieve or you render as required.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

• Tue, Nov 17 2020 12:37 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 852
    • Points 11,015

philip kapadia:

Is there a huge differance between sending a broadcast standard video signal to a video monitor via a DNxIO box vs sending a normal video signal through a GPU?

Yes there is a huge difference. The output from the GPU cannot reliably display accurate 10bit broadcast signals. The i/o hardware sold by Avid, both BMD and AJA based, plus 3rd party hardware from the same, outputs a clean bit for bit undoctored broadcast signal. That is to say, your GPU can impose myriad of colour and contrast settings, even at default settings, that would affect the purity of the video signal, so you could never reliably grade to a fixed specification, from suite to suite. Furthermore, outside of Quadro cards, I don't believe a GPU can display 10bit or more signals - even Quadros with Avid are 8bit - 10bit is the mandatory minimum for delivery and grading in Broadcast TV. No professional online and grading is done without this kind of hardware.

MC with Symphony option, 2022.10, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 17 2020 2:10 PM In reply to

Mercer:

philip kapadia:

Yes there is a huge difference. The output from the GPU cannot reliably display accurate 10bit broadcast signals. The i/o hardware sold by Avid, both BMD and AJA based, plus 3rd party hardware from the same, outputs a clean bit for bit undoctored broadcast signal. That is to say, your GPU can impose myriad of colour and contrast settings, even at default settings, that would affect the purity of the video signal, so you could never reliably grade to a fixed specification, from suite to suite. Furthermore, outside of Quadro cards, I don't believe a GPU can display 10bit or more signals - even Quadros with Avid are 8bit - 10bit is the mandatory minimum for delivery and grading in Broadcast TV. No professional online and grading is done without this kind of hardware.

Just to add some context i'm an offline editor - i don't colour grade so therefore i don't need the precision of one of these boxes - particularly when im working with low quality proxy media. I was just interested in what they did. But thanks for the insight. 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, Nov 17 2020 2:27 PM In reply to

For my QC training delivery I use a Thunderbolt AJA T-Tap unit that gives HDMI and SDI output from a thunderbolt 2 output (that both my Z book computers have)

For offline I'd certainly look at a dedicated output like a Black Magic or AJA unit and they aren't that expensive.

• Tue, Nov 17 2020 3:44 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 852
    • Points 11,015

philip kapadia:
    Just to add some context i'm an offline editor - i don't colour grade so therefore i don't need the precision of one of these boxes - particularly when im working with low quality proxy media. I was just interested in what they did. But thanks for the insight. 

No you don't and many editors on a laptop, on the go, don't either but every facilty I have offlined at have Avid set up with one in each suite. Even with offline they can be very important. You still need to know how the footage looks properly, even if you aren't grading or onlining in order to be able to judge feedback and prep for the online. Bottom line is they aren't essential but as Pat said they are cheap and highly recommended. You still of course need to know your monitor is correctly calibrated too even if it is not a reference monitor and you are not responsible for finishing to get the best out of one of these units, which is sadly often not the case at many facilities who scrimp on monitors and use consumer TVs.

MC with Symphony option, 2022.10, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 17 2020 7:50 PM In reply to

GPU's also won't handle interlaced footage, whereas broadcast i/o devices do.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 17 2020 11:06 PM In reply to

Mercer:

philip kapadia:

No you don't and many editors on a laptop, on the go, don't either but every facilty I have offlined at have Avid set up with one in each suite. Even with offline they can be very important. You still need to know how the footage looks properly, even if you aren't grading or onlining in order to be able to judge feedback and prep for the online. Bottom line is they aren't essential but as Pat said they are cheap and highly recommended. You still of course need to know your monitor is correctly calibrated too even if it is not a reference monitor and you are not responsible for finishing to get the best out of one of these units, which is sadly often not the case at many facilities who scrimp on monitors and use consumer TVs.

I see - I mean it's not particularly cheap - The DNxID is around £850 - more expensive than my GPU and my CPU combined! What is in that box that makes it so expensive?

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, Nov 17 2020 11:25 PM In reply to

AD converters etc.

If you just want a simple output, look at something like BMD Decklink Mini Monitor. Dirt cheap, does the job. But beware that both audio and video from MC are then sent out via SDI and HDMI. So you'll need to disembed the audio, either through the tv/monitor's audio outputs, or by using a disembedder or an HDMI receiver/prepro.

• Wed, Jan 27 2021 1:54 PM In reply to

• Jone Smit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 27 2021
    • Posts 11
    • Points 75

Thanks for the topic, it helped me a lot

• Wed, Jan 27 2021 11:15 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 281
    • Points 2,990

I use the BMD mini monitor via thunderbolt. In particular I like that the device syncs with the scan of the monitor ( a frame of video IS a frame of video display) so it illuminates the tearing you get between display frames that occur with GPUs output.

The tearing is very difficult for clients to understand and they often think something is wrong with the footage.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller