Latest post Sun, Dec 27 2020 8:27 PM by pantau. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 7 2020 10:46 AM

• mivko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 4 2013
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

OMFI MediaFiles to Davinci Resolve

I have an old Avid "OMFI MediaFiles" folder with thousands of .omf and .aif files, which I would like to move to Resolve for CC. There has been no editing, so I just want to have all clips in Resolve.

The files are DV files, which Avid split into separate video .omf and audio .aif files.

The first problem was that Resolve cannot read .omf files. That can easily be fixed by rewrapping the .omf into .mov or .mxf.

But the main problem is that Resolve doesn't know which .aif files belong to which video.

Avid does know, and can show me with "Reaveal File...". But that just opens a GUI window for one specific clip.

Is there some way to export a list of clips and their corresponding media files? I could then use that list to automatically rewrap both video and audio into single .mov clips.

I could also put all the clips on timelines, and export these timelines as .aaf, which I can import into Resolve. But the .aaf will reference .omf files which Resolve cannot read. So this is useless unless there is a way to hack the .aaf to reference a .mov copy instead of the .omf.

If I have .mxf files for all .omf video files, can I somehow relink in Avid so that the clips use the .mxf instead of the .omf? Then the AAF route would work.

Thanks for any ideas...

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Oct 7 2020 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: OMFI MediaFiles to Davinci Resolve

Do you need timecodes to be retained?

If not I'd just export those clips from MC in a wrapper and codec that Resolve is happy with.

If all the clips are in a bin you can select them all and set the export off and just let it run.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Wed, Oct 7 2020 11:56 AM In reply to

• mivko
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

But exporting will re-encode them. No?

Obviously, I don't want to re-encode. Only rewrap original audio and video into a container that Resolve is happy with.

And the rewrapping would be easy, if only I could know which audio files belong to which video.

• Sun, Dec 6 2020 4:59 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 31 2005
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

mivko:

The first problem was that Resolve cannot read .omf files. That can easily be fixed by rewrapping the .omf into .mov or .mxf.

Hello mivko,

I'm trying to do the same... I guess it will be necessary to relink video and audio manually in Resolve.

Could I ask you how you managed to rewrap the OMF to MXF?

Thanks!

Win7 SP1 Avid 8.3.1 Quicktime 7.7.9 IBM Carbon X1 5th, 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 6 2020 6:33 PM In reply to

I'd rop the clips into a timeline n Media Composer and send that as an AAF to resolve. That will retain the links between audio and video.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

• Sun, Dec 6 2020 6:42 PM In reply to

• mivko
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

Rewrapping can be done with ffmpeg. Basically, it's just

ffmpeg -i "YourInput.omf" -c:v copy -c:a copy -map 0 -map_metadata 0 "YourOutput.mov"

Some of my .omf files actually did have audio. I don't understand why, but I added "-c:a copy" to also copy that.

The "-map 0" and "-map_metadata 0" options make sur that everything is copied: all audio streams if there are several, and particularly the timecode.

I did it on a Mac, so I used Bash features, and a loop similar to this (sorry for the bad formatting, but this forum seems to ignore all formatting html):

for f in *.omf; do
      out="${f%%.omf}.mov" # replace .omf with .mov
      ffmpeg -i "$f" -c:v copy -c:a copy -map 0 -map_metadata 0 "$out"
      touch -r "$f" "$out" # set date of mov to the same as the original
      mv "$f" "done/" # move original to a "done" subfolder
    done

But if you only do that, you indeed need to resynchronise all the sound, and there is no easy way to find which audio belongs to which video. The file names give hints, but it's not always so simple. So I am still looking for a reliable way to add the needed audio tracks into the .mov.

• Sun, Dec 6 2020 7:20 PM In reply to

• mivko
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

AAF to resolve. That will retain the links between audio and video.

Well, yes it retains the links, but the video is "offline" since Resolve doesn't understand .omf.

If it's only a few clips, that is a solution, replacing the .omf video clips on the timeline with their .mov version. But I'm hoping to find an automated solution for thousands of clips ...

• Sun, Dec 6 2020 10:24 PM In reply to

Transcode to MXF the MC timeline before you do the AAF export. 

Set the media creation to MXF chose the same codec and its just a rewrap. 

• Mon, Dec 7 2020 5:26 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

Pat Horridge:

Transcode to MXF the MC timeline before you do the AAF export. 

Set the media creation to MXF chose the same codec and its just a rewrap. 

In the media creation tab, even when I choose Avid OP Atom, the resulting files when consolidating are are OMF.

Win7 SP1 Avid 8.3.1 Quicktime 7.7.9 IBM Carbon X1 5th, 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 7 2020 5:52 PM In reply to

You need to transcode not consolidate. 

• Tue, Dec 8 2020 4:24 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

Pat Horridge:

You need to transcode not consolidate. 

This did work, thanks. Judging by the speed of the transcode, in fact it seems to be a rewrap.

Still, during aaf import, Resolve doesn't recognize the video files, though the filenames of the files supposedly missing are correct (I did choose to "ignores file extensions"). I guess this is because of the "reel names" in the aaf. Is there any way to exclude them during aaf export?

• Tue, Dec 15 2020 4:30 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

pantau:

Still, during aaf import, Resolve doesn't recognize the video files, though the filenames of the files supposedly missing are correct (I did choose to "ignores file extensions"). I guess this is because of the "reel names" in the aaf. Is there any way to exclude them during aaf export?

bump

• Tue, Dec 15 2020 4:49 PM In reply to

What happens if you add the media files to the Resolve media pool before you import the AFF? Will it see and link then.

• Sun, Dec 20 2020 12:57 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

Thanks, I'm getting closer to it.

The problem was that I had exported files to a folder, not to the media drive. Then, I had to transcode audio to PCM, otherwise it would get exported as OMF, independently of the media creation settings.

The media files do now get imported corretly into Resolve, and have the audio linked to the video.

However, in the timeline, only the audio clips get imported, not the video. I guess this a Resolve problem, still, any ideas on that are welcome.

• Sun, Dec 20 2020 1:55 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,474
    • Points 18,320

IIRC Resolve does not recognize DV at all.  Will double check shortly.

Edit:  Please disregard.  Just successfully loaded DV clips in Resolve 17 as .mxf, .mov, and .avi.  It took  longer for the video to load than the audio so the clips appeared as audio only for a time.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller