Latest post Sun, Nov 20 2022 10:13 PM by Telegram!. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 10 2019 2:44 AM

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 14 2018
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

AAF export settings for Archive purposes

Hello, I create a range of content from promos and TVC's to longer form content (half hour, 1 hour etc). I need to archive some special projects and would like to AAF certain projects/sequences onto an external drive. Is this the best workflow for archiving? Most of my sequences contain AMA linked files. What is the best way to do this? There are many options to click and it is confusing. This is not for Pro Tools this is purely so I can archive and recall a sequence quickly (if I need to) and bring back media from the external drive with it. I want to keep all my layers and effects. I would assume I need to consolitate the media with handles?? I can't seem to find a good youtube tutorial on this and would appreciate any help. Kind Regards

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Jul 10 2019 11:56 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 948
    • Points 12,235

Re: AAF export settings for Archive purposes

Hi,

I use AAF-eport as a standard backup for finished projects. 

First you must transcode AMA-linked clips and relink your sequence, or consolidate the desired sequence. 

Second, you run AAF-export with option "copy media to folder" for both, video and audio. You can directly select your external drive as target directory.

On your external disk you will find the AAF-file plus Avid's standard media file structure with a folder  MXF and a subfolder "!1", which holds all clip copies.

If you want to get you projact back into your system, you have to create a folder inside your standard location for Avid media Files. Give this folder a unique number, e.g. 100, and then copy all media files and the AAF-file into this folder.

When finished, open Media Composer. MC recognises the new media in folder "100". Now create a new project (possibly with the same name as the original project), and import the AAF-file from folder "100" into an empty bin.

All clips will be found in the bin together with the original sequence.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Wed, Jul 10 2019 11:40 PM In reply to

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

Thanks Joachim. I have a few questions in regards to your reply. I hope you can help.

First you must transcode AMA-linked clips and relink your sequence, or consolidate the desired sequence. 

Why would I need to do this? How would I do this? Would I click on each ama linked file in my bin and transcode or would I have to do it on the master clips?

If I was to consolidate the desired sequence what benefit would that have as opposed to transcoding and relinking? How would I consolidate? Would I just click on the sequence Icon and then consolidate?

Second, you run AAF-export with option "copy media to folder" for both, video and audio. You can directly select your external drive as target directory.

Would I always select 'Copy media to folder'? I just want the clips used with some handles. 

On your external disk you will find the AAF-file plus Avid's standard media file structure with a folder  MXF and a subfolder "!1", which holds all clip copies.

If you want to get you projact back into your system, you have to create a folder inside your standard location for Avid media Files. Give this folder a unique number, e.g. 100, and then copy all media files and the AAF-file into this folder.

I don't know what this means. I don't know what you mean by creating a folder inside my standard location for Avid Media Files? 

When finished, open Media Composer. MC recognises the new media in folder "100". Now create a new project (possibly with the same name as the original project), and import the AAF-file from folder "100" into an empty bin.

All clips will be found in the bin together with the original sequence.

Joachim

Thanks for your help.

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 4:41 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 948
    • Points 12,235

ADG:

Why would I need to do this? How would I do this? Would I click on each ama linked file in my bin and transcode or would I have to do it on the master clips?

If you have AMA-linked clips in your sequence, AAF-export does not work. It needs transcoded clips either per transcode or per consolidate.

For transcoding AMA-linked clips, mark all of them in the bin, right click and select transcode. in the openeing transcode window select the desired format and codec, e.g 1080/50p and DNxHD 240.

If I was to consolidate the desired sequence what benefit would that have as opposed to transcoding and relinking? How would I consolidate? Would I just click on the sequence Icon and then consolidate?

Transcode (as the name say) transcodes all clips in full length, while Consolidat a sequence, only transcodes those clips, which areused in the sequence and only transcodes the actual used  clip length (plus ahndles).

Would I always select 'Copy media to folder'? I just want the clips used with some handles. 

If you want to get a backup with all clips of the timeline, then you have to select "copy media", otherwise your AAF-export will only contain references to the used clips but no backup.

I don't know what this means. I don't know what you mean by creating a folder inside my standard location for Avid Media Files? 

AVID MC maintains all media files in a unique folder structure. The structure is:

<Media Drive Letter>\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1, e.g., D:\Avid-MediaFiles\MXF\1. MC increases the foldername "1" by one, if a specific number of media files is present ( I do not exactly no the number, however it is in the range of some thousend files). So the next folder would be ...\MXF\2. You can create any numbered folder inside the MXF-flder for reloading your AAF-saved sequence, e.g.number "100" as in my example.

Sorry for coming late with my answer. I am currently oin travel and do not have Internet access every day.

I place my answers into the quoted text above in Italic.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 4:41 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 948
    • Points 12,235

ADG:

If you have AMA-linked clips in your sequence, AAF-export does not work. It needs transcoded clips either per transcode or per consolidate.

For transcoding AMA-linked clips, mark all of them in the bin, right click and select transcode. in the openeing transcode window select the desired format and codec, e.g 1080/50p and DNxHD 240.

Transcode (as the name say) transcodes all clips in full length, while Consolidat a sequence, only transcodes those clips, which areused in the sequence and only transcodes the actual used  clip length (plus ahndles).

If you want to get a backup with all clips of the timeline, then you have to select "copy media", otherwise your AAF-export will only contain references to the used clips but no backup.

AVID MC maintains all media files in a unique folder structure. The structure is:

<Media Drive Letter>\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1, e.g., D:\Avid-MediaFiles\MXF\1. MC increases the foldername "1" by one, if a specific number of media files is present ( I do not exactly no the number, however it is in the range of some thousend files). So the next folder would be ...\MXF\2. You can create any numbered folder inside the MXF-flder for reloading your AAF-saved sequence, e.g.number "100" as in my example.

Sorry for coming late with my answer. I am currently oin travel and do not have Internet access every day.

I place my answers into the quoted text above in Italic.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

• Thu, Nov 17 2022 6:04 AM In reply to

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

Hi Joachim,

Do you mean copy the AAF file, the Avid media Files folder and the OMFI Media Files folder?

Or do you mean take the contents of those folders and copy it loose in the folder called 100.

Kind regards,

ADG

• Sun, Nov 20 2022 3:57 PM In reply to

If you want to archive a project, using only media with handles, do this:

Go to your existing Avid MediaFiles/mxf folder.  Rename your 1 folder to either a new number (2) or even a name will work at this stage. (project A media)  The number only rule means this folder is still writable, but "essentially" the only thing that will be written at this stage is a new database, if you manually add media to it.  If you put letters in the folder name, it will be read only, so you have to make sure your database in there is solid and working.  If it is your current 1 folder, i'm going to assume it is solid and working...so you should be fine to rename the folder to anything you want.

Launch Avid, and open your project.  everything should still be online.

copy your existing sequence, and move the copy into another bin called final archive.

close all other bins.

Now, you should be able to consolidate this final archive sequence to new media, what ever kind of media you want, and you should be able to select the handle size you want.

Just right click on the sequence, select consolidate/transcode.  On the next window select colsolidate, pick your target drive, which is the same drive all your media is currently on.

Once done, close Avid.

You should now have a brand new Avid MediaFiles/mxf/1  folder with all this newly consolidated media inside it, and nothing else.  Rename this folder to Project whatever consolidated media.

Go to your Avid projects location.

select the project you are archiving, and copy it to a new location.  I typically do both a copy, and a zip archive version.

I have had the original copy go corrupt, but the zip always seems to work in an emergency.

Now as a test, launch Avid.   Create a new project called restore.  Go back to  where your avid projects are located, and place a copy of the bin "Final Archive" from the original version of the project...or the archive copy you just made...place that inside your new project you created called Restore.

In Avid, refresh your bin layout, and you should now see a bin called Restore"  Open it and load the sequence inside it. If done correctly, everything should be online.

Now, go back to your Avid MediaFiles/mxf folder, and move the "Project whatever consolidated media" folder out of that location...perhaps up 1 level to Avid MediaFiles/

Back in Avid, you should now see everything is offline.

This should confirm that the media works, the project archive works, and the media is all in this location.

Save the media folder and the project zip file and base copy of the project you made somewhere safe.

You should now be able to clean out the original project as you see fit.  Delete everything if you feel you must. 

Personally, i put everything to LTO, store it, and charge the client for that service.  But many, like you , only want to keep what was needed for the edit.  As long as you are aware that deleting that unused footage, means you can't use it anywhere else either.

(EDIT) Forgot to add...if you have multiple projects on the go, you may want to change your orignal folder that we called "Project A media" back to 1 at the end of all this, so it is writeable again.  If it only has media from the one project, and you are sure you want to delete it...then delete it.

Current Avid-Z390 Win 10 Intel i9 64gig ram Nvidia A5000 MC current level - Win 10 64 Gig Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 20 2022 4:13 PM In reply to

Glenn, This is a good recipe, but even after renaming the 1 folder to something un-writable, I believe the Consolidate option to Ignore media on target disk must be un-checked in order to produce a fully consolidated sequence, if using the same destination disk, no?

-Telegram!

• Sun, Nov 20 2022 4:57 PM In reply to

Yes, sorry, my post doesn't go into the settings side of consolidate.  The point is to make Avid automatically create the folder to which the media goes, and then you can easily grab it and back it up.

Current Avid-Z390 Win 10 Intel i9 64gig ram Nvidia A5000 MC current level - Win 10 64 Gig Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 20 2022 5:19 PM In reply to

Glenn Sakatch:

Yes, sorry, my post doesn't go into the settings side of consolidate.  The point is to make Avid automatically create the folder to which the media goes, and then you can easily grab it and back it up.

Thank YOU, for adding so much as you do.

I have been meaning to ask you about your explorations & use of the revised MC Relink tool, which I think you posted about elsewhere. Before I do, can you say whether you typically work with Linked or with Imported/Cons/Transcoded timelines?

-Telegram!

• Sun, Nov 20 2022 5:42 PM In reply to

Depends on the scope of the shows.

Typically i transcode in Resolve to Avid mxfs for the bulk of the shoot.  I have a nice checklist for an assistant, or myself, to double check timecodes, file names, frame rates, and audio sources before making the transcodes.

Any supplimental items...graphics, stockfootage, shots from other projects that might come in i will usually just link to those inside Avid.

Audio (Music and voice overs) i typically link to those, although depending on the sound house, sometimes i have to import the final mixes.  I'm not an audio guru, so i'm not sure the issue, but sometimes my audio will link with incorrect timecode.

If I import it , i get proper timecode.

If i run the original file through Sound wave, and assign a proper timecode it will link fine.

For what ever reason, 1 house in particular seems to send me audio that flags at the wrong start timecode...haven't worried about it enough to question them.

That being said, if it is a small 1 day shoot for something quick and easy, i would have no problem linking to the camera raw footage, but when we hit 5. 10, 15 days of shoot, I find it easier to work with transcodes.  (Usually DNXSQ I believe)

• Sun, Nov 20 2022 5:56 PM In reply to

OK, thanks for mentioning your use of linked media, within MC. I basically wanted to know if in your travels you learned whether Consolidated Multi-groups in a sequence could now be relinked to the originating linked camera files, INCLUDING any un-seen camera banks within the Consolidated Sequence...using the new Relink tool.

I would check this myself, but I don't want to install the latest version just yet.

-Telegram!

• Sun, Nov 20 2022 6:18 PM In reply to

I have not tried that specifically, and I haven't tried the new Relink tool using managed media, just linked media.

I will quite often relink my timeline to camera raw before sending to Resolve, so that would be relinking my multicam, which is made up of transcoded material, back to camera original.  You do have to commit multicams before sending to another program, so i'm assuming it will be seeing any unused camera bank in the group.  Can't say as I've checked that, as this is typically al locked cut at this point.

I think this is essentially the same thing you are talking about?

• Sun, Nov 20 2022 6:48 PM In reply to

Yes and No, for me.

I mainly am just curious if a Consolidated Sequence, which included Linked clips and/or masterclips produced from links via Cons/Transcode, where the sequence was NOT "commit-multicam-ed", do indeed make a Fully Relinkable sequence (including online .new clips for the "unseen" banks). I sometimes need to shrink my MXF folder of long duration, high GB, unused multticam clips, but still want to have "Relink-abiliy" to those unused or hidden banks, if I continue editing.
    I had previously found that if I Consolidate a Sequence, without having commited it, I lose the ability to Relink those hidden, .new consolidated masterclips back to their full duration, originating camera files.

For me, it's a matter of adjusting my expectations, and/or learning if the new Relink is more capable of such things.

-Telegram!

• Sun, Nov 20 2022 8:25 PM In reply to

We have kind of hijacked this thread... So you are linking to media, then building groups, then editing, then consolidating, the groups, then you want to go back to the original links to do more editing?

I can understand that.  The act of consolidating I would assume, by it's nature, is going to make you lose the ability to go back to the original.  It has on one level or another created a shorter version of the clip.

This is part of the reason I always make a copy of the sequence, before consolidating, to leave that original clip metadata intact.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller