Latest post Wed, Dec 1 2021 9:01 AM by AndrewAction. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 14 2017 10:45 PM

Support for Tangent Elements on Symphony

As the titles says, please add Tangent Element support on Symphony. This panel is the most popular, most used across application for color grading, and most suites are equipped with one of these.

• Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 255,985
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Support for Tangent Elements on Symphony

Passing this along to the Product team for MC

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 25 2019 12:15 AM In reply to

Assuming nothing has changed here but thought we could revive this request. I for one would use Symphony to finish if it would talk to my Tangent Element panels. 

2010 Mac Pro Radeon GTX 580 2xQuad Core, 96 GB RAM MC with Symphony - current version macOS Mojave 2019 16" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core AMD Radeon Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 28 2021 12:21 PM In reply to

• gregzi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 16 2021
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

Sorry for geting back to the long story, but it would be so cool if we can use together Symphony and Tangent. really missed. Color grading now required by any kind of project, and it would be cool to do this inside MC without "roudndtrip". It would be much easy with tangent surtface. 

• Tue, Nov 30 2021 4:04 PM In reply to

gregzi:

Sorry for geting back to the long story, but it would be so cool if we can use together Symphony and Tangent. really missed. Color grading now required by any kind of project, and it would be cool to do this inside MC without "roudndtrip". It would be much easy with tangent surtface. 

I agree. 

If you do any serious colour grading, I would really look into Baselight For Avid: https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/products/editions/range_ed/index_ed.php#BaselightAvid

Does what resolve can do, without AAF'ing, and supports these panels. 

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Wed, Dec 1 2021 9:01 AM In reply to

gregzi:
    Color grading now required by any kind of project, and it would be cool to do this inside MC without "roudndtrip". It would be much easy with tangent surtface. 

I have been round tripping from and to MC via the OMF tool originally and then AAF's when they were released for 2 plus decades. I struggle with why people have this  "it's hard work or it's problematic" attitude toward it. Establish a workflow that works and takes advantage of each programs strong points and have fun with it..  

I started with AAF's to Resolve  from Symphony with Artist colour (notoriously bad with Symphony) in 2008 and have yet to have an issue with a round trip. Resolve always used to work well with Tangent, I haven't looked recently as I opted to drop the Artist Colour in favour of the BM Micro panel.

The following workflow developed over time starting from when Avid introduced it's initially very problematic (for linking and relinking) AMA.  I simply reversed my round tripping workflows'.  I  now start Projects in Resolve for Media input and management. 

The process is to add all clips on a card or drive into the media Pool.  (they are "linked" so it takes seconds)
    Sort the media by TC . 
    Select all the media from a card or drive and select "create a new timeline from selected media" 
    Open the time line in the colour Page.
    Add Colour Space transform or appropriate Camera LUT or use Resolve setup setting get all clips into Rec 709. as this is 32 bit float media this is not baked in ton the clip just rendered in at export time.

Open timeline in Deliver page and choose Avid Template.  Adjust size, quality and format settings to what you want for MC. (proxies? through to DNxHR. )  Choose export as individual clip. These settings can be saved as a Template. Choose to save in a number only named bin in your Avid Media drive.

Open your MC project  and watch MC index your Resolve media Bin.   
    Open the bin in finder and drag the AAF from there into a bin. The bin will populate with all of the clips from that timeline as well as the timeline.
    This timeline can be dragged into your source monitor as a media string out source.
    Here this whole process is at least 25% faster than current MC Link and transcode.

Repeat for each Media card.  Bonus  Each of your individual card media can get it's own bin setup with this workflow. 

Edit your project

When ready to export create an AAF without media.  (force of habit here is that I export a duplicate timeline that has effects removed and only video tracks.)

Open the AAF in the Resolve project. Your timeline will open sourcing all the camera original media)
    Grade as required and export as AAF with Avid template back with individual clips and handles as required. 

Open Resolve AAF timeline in MC project and edit resolve timeline onto the top video layer of your final edited sequence.  Reapply effects from your edit video tracks to the Resolve timeline video track now on the top layer of your cut.

These days I have Resolve on the same computers as my MC's and they use local storage. MC is my editor 
    My only reservation for recommending Resolve over Baselight plug in would be for anyone who prefers layer based workflows to a node based workflow like Resolve.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller