Latest post Thu, Jun 25 2015 2:41 PM by DIESELE. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 11 2015 6:11 PM

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Posts 1,213
    • Points 14,970

Is FrameFlex really buggy?

Really need to use this on a 1080 project I am cutting in 720.  I need to be able to do lovely zooms on locked off wide shots and re-frame other shots; it works sometimes  It just seem really buggy - I launch it and sometimes nothing happens when you move sliders, I clear renders and sometimes it works.  Other times on clean untouched clips I dont get the cursor lines to adjust the shot whne i go to effects mode.

I am working multicam but need to do stuff as I go along, so I cut in the clean source shot where needed (to replace the group source shot where you dont get the green dot) and then do get the green dot but often nothing happens when i tweak!!!

Symphony 2018.12.10, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 11.1 (unsatisfactory in full res UHD though for client monitor), WIN 10 on 2500Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K4200, Asus X99-A Mobo, i7 5820K 4.0 GHz Hex core mildly overclocked CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10 array @ 450Mbs

• Wed, Mar 11 2015 8:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Is FrameFlex really buggy?

Diesle

check out this article

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/How-to-change-the-aspect-ratio-of-clips-in-the-bin

marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 11 2015 11:55 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,070
    • Points 49,100

Marianna,

Respectfully, I do not think that article is useful in Diesele's situation.

First, when I looked at it, the right side was cut off and I could not see the results of actions.

But more importantly, he is asking how to manipulate individual clips once they are in the sequence, not in a bin.  Huge difference as far as Frameflex is concerned.

I will say that my expierence in using Frameflex in the way he is asking about, while not exactly as he describes, has been less than satisfying.  To be polite.

And the fact that you can change a clip globally in a bin can actually hurt you when you go to do some "custom" manipulation on a clip in a sequence.  The two situations can "fight".

Diesele - the only suggestion I can give is pay VERY close attention to key frames in Frameflex.  I would always make sure to have one at the beginning and end of any clip you are working on in the timeline.  Even if it is a single resize/repo.  Beyond that all I can say is I really hope that Frameflex is going to be replaced by a less "automatic", more controllable tool.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Thu, Mar 12 2015 8:57 AM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,213
    • Points 14,970

Thanks Jef - Marianna is usually a lifesaver in my situations :)  But yes it just works differently every time I launch it in the timeline - or doesnt work at all.  Sometimes I can see the cursors doing my slow zoom in between keyframes but it wont 'bake' into the pic when I render it.  Just nothing happens.  This shoot had a couple of locked off shots (budget...!) and I am reliant on FrameFlex allowing me to gently repo those shots if someone elses's nose creeps into frame!  I need it to work!

Symphony 2018.12.10, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 11.1 (unsatisfactory in full res UHD though for client monitor), WIN 10 on 2500Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K4200, Asus X99-A Mobo, i7 5820K 4.0 GHz Hex core mildly overclocked CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10 array @ 450Mbs

• Thu, Mar 12 2015 2:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jef

Point taken...... but it was a good article to get some education on it and sometimes that is enough to help a customer fix an issue.

Diesele    -  I am going to check with engineering and see if they have any suggestions.  

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 12 2015 2:51 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,213
    • Points 14,970

Thanks M - happy to do a little vid if it helps.

• Thu, Mar 12 2015 3:52 PM In reply to

I'm not sure the word "buggy" fully covers the problem. It's not crashing... but the way it makes its automatic decisions feels inconsistent. So it's more an issue of architecture and getting all the format/aspect ratio (DAR/PAR) transformations right.

IMHO frameflex feels as if Avid applied a quick fix where they should have spend a lot of resources to get it right.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Mar 13 2015 3:30 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

i only have a few weeks running 8.3, and did not touch FrameFlex before this, and i too wish for a way to leave the linked image sequence alone, passing the full raster to the editor and nothing more...

the quailty of the scaling in FrameFlex is pretty sub-optimal, i have several systems to compare and MC is the bottom of the list..

top marks for transparent scaleing goes to Nucoda for quailty and RT.. Nuke, Fusion, Mamba all are great too, but not RT

middle pack - but still usefull/acceptable  would be DS, Resolve, Speedgrade, AE

worringly bad quality for finishing / mastering  for me are Lightworks, FCP, PP & MC with FrameFlex

i pulled a DCi2k conform out of MC last week as the Dragon camera orighnals showed artifacting / alising when scaled in FrameFlex, then compared to the same shots scaled in Nucoda, Resolve and DS.

Probbaly the most anoying thing is that i have BaselightEditions on the MC, and if i make a 4k project and scale in Baselight it's every bit as good as Nucoda and every bit as fast... but i have no way of using this in a 2k project as Avid's FrameFlex forces it's self into the equation and BLE can only see what MC sends to it...

So yea... a way to entierly disable FrameFlex and apply BLE or any other high quality scaleing for finishing work is pretty much needed... this is show stopper for highquality finishing

i did completly re-conform the show i had to pull from MC in Resolve, but i could not send out a master loaded with alsiing and artifacts.. so i lost a day, i'll chalk that up to testing a new system, i told the cleint going in that i wanted to test MC + BLE, and after day 1 i had to switch due to FrameFlex / scaleing / artifacts / aliasing

but untill this is sorted it's makeing MC's 2k+  capabilities pretty much useless unless the camera master matches the output raster and FrameFlex is just passing through - it seems clean if it does not scale anything

for low quality off line use it might have a place, for finising DCP & network masters tho... it needs to be able to be bypassed, and hand the entire raster un-molested to a better tool set for folks that wish to leverage MC's 2k/4k workflows for high quality deliverables

d

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 25 2015 2:41 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,213
    • Points 14,970

UPDATE

Is it that one HAS to click the TC1 bar in the timeline after applying the 'in timeline' Frame Flex adjustment.  This seems to 'pop' it in consistently...  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller