Latest post Mon, Sep 15 2014 11:12 PM by Stephen Roseman. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 27 2014 4:20 PM

Problem with install of MC 8 upgrade

Just got off the phone with tech soupport (53 minutes) so i thought to start a page to stop anyone from getting cought in this cluster f^*k of this upgrade i did a clean reinstall of my PC after the problem of the back ground services not working And thanx agine to mjolnarn for the patients with me in helping finding that problem, so anyone who is planing to upgrade to MC 8 may want to test first  like i said clean uninstall/format c:/ then reinstall when MC 8 started there is a new app i think call avid application Manager there you will see all of your options of programs that you can install (i.e. MC 8 dolby ac3, newbluetitler 2,sorenson ect.ect.ect.) each program wants the activion id and system id it doesen't carry over from your old version at least me it didn't and thats where the problem starts call tech support they may give you a temp # and you start spinning from there. They are working on a fix soooooo...........i'll up date this as soon as my case # is called

(video)Gigabyte Ga-Z87X-UD5H 4TH GENERATION I7 4770K INTEL 4600 ON BOARD GRAPHICS NVIDEIA Asus GeForce GTX 780ti (GPU 3gb ddr5 Memory)On board sound blaster... [view my complete system specs]

"When Everybody goes Right I Go Left" I Move "Just" a little Different

• Tue, May 27 2014 4:36 PM In reply to

Re: Problem with install of MC 8 upgrade

Be interesting to har what the conclusion is to this. BUt I don;t see how your ID's woudl carry oer on a clean install of the system.

There would be nothing left to carry over?

Did you not have your Id's saved from before you de-activated?

Having Dongles here I haven't yet had to tackle the new activation system!

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Tue, May 27 2014 6:03 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

yes i Have a drive just for MC other than program file everything is on that drive

(video)Gigabyte Ga-Z87X-UD5H 4TH GENERATION I7 4770K INTEL 4600 ON BOARD GRAPHICS NVIDEIA Asus GeForce GTX 780ti (GPU 3gb ddr5 Memory)On board sound blaster... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, May 27 2014 6:03 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

yes i Have a drive just for MC other that program file everything is on that drive

• Thu, May 29 2014 8:55 PM In reply to

1st update ,Still Waiting 3 to 5 day as to tech support (I realy don't think they have a clue on this subject) ! while i was on phone i had a thought, My licence is a student / techer pack so i looked into the web site with my system ID an according to the web site after 2015 is when I would start to pay or begin my subscription payments of get this 9.99$ per month so that should be 119.88 per year i think; and going forward based on my licence i don't pay 299.00 upgrade subscription based on my licence as of today !

• Sat, May 31 2014 6:43 PM In reply to

• rodpaul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,445

My upgrade to 8 took 1.5 hrs. with tech support - 30 minutes of which was waiting on hold for a tech, who had to ask for assistance many times during the session. All very pleasant, but lengthy and complex. The process is far more involved than I thought, and required new activations, new numbers and dongle blasting. I've done many upgrades and installs, but have never seen one like this. It does work, but now my master account doesn't show MC 8 on it after all this... If Avid wants people to shift to the subscription model, they may want to consider documenting this better or making it easier. Software works fine.
    Dell T3600T 12 Cores 3.5 ghz Intel 32GRAM K4200 Windows 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 31 2014 7:54 PM In reply to

rodpaul:
    The process is far more involved than I thought, and required new activations, new numbers and dongle blasting.

rodpaul:
    Software works fine

Yes as I said earlier as A FYI to people moveing to this update test 1st. When i was working I worked in the postage/mail equipment area when ever the US Postal Service and/or UPS/FEDX rates would go up we would begain that processes and every year something new would come from one of the verdors and we had to go into what ever works now mode, we knew what the price was BUT of all of the differnt systems and the customers accounting methods my company had to buy and install on our systems first befor going to our costomers, and that still didn't help some years how does this apply to MC well i simply say same animal different stripes (upgrades are never simple )

Just as I was reading this post from my phone I cliked on MC icon and, brought up the welcome to avid inter method for activation page and thats where i'm stuck i'm hope they are open today...... I'm screewed they are closed.IF any of the moderators know of a way to talk to tech  support i'm dead and got work to do dead line apporching DAM

• Sun, Jun 1 2014 6:58 AM In reply to

Stephen Roseman:
    IF any of the moderators know of a way to talk to tech  support i'm dead and got work to do dead line apporching DAM

If you can't get through to tech support, send an email to Marianna Montague (marianna.montague@avid.com).  She's their customer advocate, and can help.

While you're waiting, you can run MC in trial mode, which is fully functional and lasts for 30 days.

Media Composer 2022.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jun 2 2014 12:15 AM In reply to

camoscato:
    you can run MC in trial mode, which is fully functional and lasts for 30 days

yes they have me on a temp. licence well after my 1st reboot it stoped working it get

critial error initizing the licening engine error 5 please contact avid customer support the app can't continue work and will be terminated and it suts down so thank you for that imfo but it's sunday and i'll just wait till  monday am I think they'll be remoteing into my system again

• Wed, Jun 18 2014 5:50 AM In reply to

• Matt Wielgos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 6 2012
    • Cincinnati, Ohio
    • Posts 36
    • Points 510

I too had licensing problems initially.  They issued a temp license which worked for about a week.  Something in the new Application Manager triggered Media Composer to be unusable this morning.  During a three hour session remoting with an Avid tech in India, he deleted my Avid after moving the mouse around the screen without any action.  He suggested a reinstall and attempted to do so.  Re-install now prompts an error that it can't be reinstalled because another program has exclusive control of the Avid encoding engine... the same software that was previously deleted.  A word of caution, this software is messed up.  A pre-beta at best that Avid has no buisness bringing to the market.

System 1: Avid Media Composer 8.0.1, Windows 7 64 bit Pro, SP1, Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU @2.20 Ghz. 16 GB ram. NVidia NVS 4200M w/drv. 9.18.13.2078. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 18 2014 9:47 PM In reply to

Matt Wielgos:
    During a three hour session remoting with an Avid tech in India, he deleted my Avid after moving the mouse around the screen without any action.  He suggested a reinstall and attempted to do so.  Re-install now prompts an error that it can't be reinstalled because another program has exclusive control of the Avid encoding engine... the same software that was previously deleted.  A word of caution, this software is messed up.

Ok just read your post and and thank you for posting this, I was beging to think i was alone with this problem, and belive it or not, Was just listling  to some pink floyd "is anybody out there". When avid made this update what or who was the beta tester. Or did they do it at all, sometimes as tech people we are our own worse enemy. So are you still stuck in this posiotion or still on temp software. I have uninstall and reinstall so many times I can't even give it words, That's why in another post i asked for the windows regestery location so I wouldn't have to blow everything up. it isn't a securty bypass just makes it easyer too do all of these reinstalls. and it realiy hard to understand the phone tech people really hard. please let me know if you get a fix and i'll post if i get 1, This is a real pain in the ass

hey marianna if i reinstall mc 7.04 will it except all bins and files (new bluetitler pro 2) saved from MC8 till they fix   MC 8

• Tue, Jul 1 2014 11:41 PM In reply to

hi everone it's july 1 2014,

i started this may 27 2014 still circleing the drain I thought this was a small problem, But... Is there anyone else who has been got there's fixxed yet ?

• Wed, Jul 2 2014 4:27 AM In reply to

Your best bet is still to go through support or email Marianna.  None of the regular users (which most of us are) can help with software activation problems.

Media Composer 2022.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jul 4 2014 1:41 AM In reply to

camoscato:

Your best bet is still to go through support or email Marianna.  None of the regular users (which most of us are) can help with software activation problems.

Yes I know, It's like when the basketball go's around and around the rim, the answer will be whether it go's in or out, Well it's still spinning, I sent about 9 emaills to her and phone support, I hope it made sence to them i've done all i can. i would just like to get this done. I have the education version I'm glad that i'm not in class at this time if i had a test or fineals I'd be in deep do-do

by the way marianna did you get my emails, did it make sence's ????

• Sun, Jul 6 2014 2:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,020
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Stephen

yes I got a bunch of emails  from you. Sorry that it took a bit to respond but with 1200 a day - and being out for a few days - I got behind..... 

I sent you a response email with a MC 8 academic upgrade code to try with your original system ID.....  asked you to report back.

standing by 

Let em know a. if you got the email and b. if it worked

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller