Latest post Tue, Jul 9 2013 9:00 PM by jef. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 9 2013 2:53 PM

Have "Transcode Native" option

If this is already done, please excuse my ignorance. It would be great when transcoding all kinds of materials with different frame rates in one project to transcode them in their various native frame rates so there is no interpolation going on. Then I can vary the frame rate and have all the original information in each frame with no "tween" frames. Thanks.

• Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:01 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,086
    • Points 49,290

Re: Have "Transcode Native" option

Interesting idea.  Probably not going to happen for awhile.  But here is the common workflow to get where you want to be.

Set up a "Capture" project that matches the frame rate and size of your incoming media.  AMA and transcode in that project.

Now go to you "Editing Project" and use Open Bin to navigate to the Capture Projects of the various flavors.  Use those clips to edit with those transcoded clips.  They will show up in your time line with green dots (motion adapters).  Go into the  effect mode.  It will show a timewarp.  Promote it.  Go to the speed and change it to 100%.  You now have a frame for frame speed.

The other method would be using SetQTrate (that may not be correct syntax).  Do a forum search for that.  It is a different way to get where you want to be.  It has pluses and minuses.  I don't have time to go into them here. 

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:43 PM In reply to

Yes. Exactly. That's what I do too. Also, it's IgnoreQTrate in the Console. My proposal for "Transcode Native" or "Transcode As Is" would just rewrap and obviate the need to jump around to different "mini Projects." Thx.

• Tue, Jul 9 2013 5:01 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,086
    • Points 49,290

Great.  The reason I say I don't think your suggestion will happen soon is the seeming nature of a project being related to frame rate.

I imagine it is no easy task to change that. 

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Jul 9 2013 5:20 PM In reply to

Understood. I'm not sure but I will just add that, with the Background processing going on, initiated in one project that can continue while editing in another project, it is no longer Project dependant and could be simpler than either of us thinks. Thanks again!

• Tue, Jul 9 2013 9:00 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,086
    • Points 49,290

Good point.  I have not played with MC7 yet.  That tool might show a way around the "barrier". 

Cheers,

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller