Latest post Fri, Jun 28 2013 4:32 PM by camoscato. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 27 2013 1:09 PM

Upres final sequence from import

Hello all,

I may be confused on my workflow, but I am looking to upres a finished sequence. I imported my clips with file > import instead of AMA. The files were imported as DNxHD 115 MXF. I would like to upres, but most of the info I am finding on these forums up upresing from AMA links. How can I do it when I import the files directly?

My footage is from a Canon 5d mk II, .h264 .mov files.

Also, would it save space on my hard drive if I had just linked to AMA in the first place?

Thank you for your time,

Patrick

Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Jun 27 2013 1:21 PM In reply to

Re: Upres final sequence from import

Hi Patrick,

patskehill:
    How can I do it when I import the files directly?

Batch Import is the function you want.  Select the file(s) you imported at DNxHD 115, and select Batch Import (Clip menu I think).  The Batch Import dialog box will ask if you want offline files or all files, and you want all files.  Select whatever resolution you want to use, and Media Composer will re-import the files at the higher resolution, linking them up to the sequences you've used them in.

patskehill:
    Also, would it save space on my hard drive if I had just linked to AMA in the first place?

Yes, because AMA only links to the files, it doesn't create new media like importing does.

Hope that helps.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2022.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jun 27 2013 1:25 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,474
    • Points 18,320

Unlike the AMA>Transcode workflow, the import>re-import workflow means you have to re-import any clips used in their totality.  This costs not only disk space but time.

• Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:01 PM In reply to

Thanks for the help.

But now I wonder for future projects. Is switching to an AMA link for importing files preferable? Most of my projects tend to be longer (an hour+) and all of the footage comes from the 5d.

Also am I able to sync sound with AMA clips with the same method I used for imported files?

Patrick

• Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:20 PM In reply to

Hi Patrick,

patskehill:
    Is switching to an AMA link for importing files preferable?

Generally, yes.  You'll either just work with the AMA-linked clips, or link them via AMA and then transcode them to whatever resolution you like.  Either method is faster than straight importing.  I can't think of a time when importing is preferable to AMA linking, or AMA linking followed by transcoding.

And just to be pedantic, the phrase "AMA link for importing" might cause confusion, because in Avid-speak "AMA linking" and "importing" are two separate functions.

patskehill:
    Also am I able to sync sound with AMA clips with the same method I used for imported files?

I think so, but I don't work with separate sound often, so I'll defer to someone who knows more about the workflow.

Hope that helps.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2022.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:41 PM In reply to

Thank you so much for all you help. It really goes a long way.

Patrick

• Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:44 PM In reply to

Also one more thing I forgot to ask. When I do the batch upres, which codec would be the best quality without being overkill?

I shot on the 5d mk II in 1080p. It seems from what I have found on the thread that dnxhd 175 would be sufficient. But should I go higher, is there any need to.

I am working in AMC 5.

Patrick

• Fri, Jun 28 2013 4:32 PM In reply to

I'd pick the highest DNxHD resolution that won't eat up all your drive space.  What number that is will depend on your project type.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller