Latest post Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:50 PM by lalittle. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 23 2013 2:47 AM In reply to

• flazzing
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 22 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 65

Re: Any disadvantages (i.e. performance, etc.) to AMA linking to DNxHD .mov files?

Ok thank you. I was supposed my question was more in reference to .mxf op1a form of DNX instead of the .mov variant. Just wondering if AMA linking to .mxf op1a would still create a lag for longer projects compared to Avid native .mxf op-atom files. And, I wonder how much slower. For instance, would AMA linked to .mxf op1a files be 10% or 50% slower/more lag, or just something like 5%?

• Sat, Nov 23 2013 5:44 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,485
    • Points 18,485

Re: Any disadvantages (i.e. performance, etc.) to AMA linking to DNxHD .mov files?

flazzing:

I wonder how much slower. For instance, would AMA linked to .mxf op1a files be 10% or 50% slower/more lag, or just something like 5%?

Why don't you just try it.  If it gets too painfully slow you can transcode and relink at any point in the process.

• Sun, Dec 1 2013 2:51 PM In reply to

I've done some similar work to this ... AMA linking DNxHD files and then later fast-importing them to see a difference.  For the most part, the difference in editing isn't too bad, except trim mode is a tad slower. 

The real disadvantage to using AMA is that you cannot export a quicktime reference movie... so when it comes time to make H264 versions for review, an AMA project is not as eleganet, since you must export a self contained quicktime instead.  Aside from that, I did not find it all that terrible...

Also, making AAFs for ProTools seemed to have lots of issues for me with AMA media. 

Personally I stay away from AMA whenever I can.  If I wanted to directly use quicktime files I would rather stay out of the Avid NLE world, since all of the other NLEs do that better.  If I'm using Avid I might as well use it for its strengths.  I know you don't always have a choice in the matter though, so best of luck whatever you end of doing.

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:50 PM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • USA
    • Posts 534
    • Points 7,365

Thanks for all the feedback here everybody.

tfg:

I've done some similar work to this ... AMA linking DNxHD files and then later fast-importing them to see a difference.  For the most part, the difference in editing isn't too bad, except trim mode is a tad slower. 

The real disadvantage to using AMA is that you cannot export a quicktime reference movie... so when it comes time to make H264 versions for review, an AMA project is not as eleganet, since you must export a self contained quicktime instead.  Aside from that, I did not find it all that terrible...

Also, making AAFs for ProTools seemed to have lots of issues for me with AMA media. 

Personally I stay away from AMA whenever I can.  If I wanted to directly use quicktime files I would rather stay out of the Avid NLE world, since all of the other NLEs do that better.  If I'm using Avid I might as well use it for its strengths.  I know you don't always have a choice in the matter though, so best of luck whatever you end of doing.

I noticed the QTRef limitation as well.  My conclusion, however, was that given the short format pieces that I've been doing lately (under 5 min), a self contained "Same as Source" QT file was actually a much more robust output file format since it doesn't need the links to the original media to work.  I've always used QTRef up to now, and I've always managed to keep the file locations consistant such that the QTRefs worked, but it always bothered me that if things got moved around at all, my QTRefs would lost their links and require me to re-output them from Avid.  With SAS output, this is no longer a concern.

Larry

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller