Latest post Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:06 AM by AndrewAction. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 5 2013 10:45 PM

Consolidate/Transcode OUTSIDE of Avid...

There must be a way to do this.  There should be a way to do this.  Is there a way to do this??  Metafuse is not what I mean because it only lets you transcode to DNX media correct?  And it seems limited to certain types of input media.  I want an external application, made by Avid which lets me do the re-wrap process of say OP1a > OP Atom MXF that you might do from, say, Canon C300 footage.  I want it to let me put that media directly in a numbered Avid MediaFiles folder of my choosing and I want it to give me an AAF to import.  I don't want to use MC/Symphony to do this task. 

It should basically be an external AMA module that works exactly the same as AMA>Consolidate works inside Avid but without tying up Avid. 

Currently I'm watching Avid churn through some C300 footage and watching the CPU usage I can see one core working and the rest just sitting there.  Why isn't Avid utilising all the cores?  Is this a re-write thing?  If this is the case then they need to get on with re-writing the *** thing.  It seems Avid is being left behind in the performance stakes.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Mar 6 2013 2:55 AM In reply to

Re: Consolidate/Transcode OUTSIDE of Avid...

ripvanmarlowe:

Currently I'm watching Avid churn through some C300 footage and watching the CPU usage I can see one core working and the rest just sitting there.  Why isn't Avid utilising all the cores?  

Just the other night I let Avid Transcode about 17 AMA'd C300 folders all in one 300 GB overnight shot. I really appreciated that I did not have to monitor each folder. Next morning I saw that it worked like a charm.

Later, I thought too bad I couldn't import those spanned 2gb files into Squeeze 8.5. I set up a one hour clip to export a DNxHD MXF. I saw all 8 cores active and also the 55 minute estimate. I don't know if that's what you are looking for or which process is faster-- I suppose that depends on your PC's hardware. I am glad I can now get this kind of Importing done while editing on Avid at the same time if I need to.

-Telegram!

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 12:19 PM In reply to

Thanks Telegram!

Not really, what I want is what you were doing but outside of Avid.  So when you say you left it to do 17 folders overnight - that's where the problem lies for me, I want to be able to do that on a completely seperate system - an assistant station if you will. using a program that comes bundled with the Avid software in the same way that Metafuze does.  It can't be that hard, Avid is already doing it.  I think this would save a lot of time, especially in those scenarios where footage comes in at the last minute and you need to get it in but also need to keep working.

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 6 2013 12:32 PM In reply to

One issue of transcoding outside of Avid is that not many tools will create MXF media in Avid format and even if they do they won;t put the Porject name metadata in. This means inside Media Composer the media tool can't associate that media with your project. So media management becomes more complex.

On my machines Transcoding in Avid uses multiple cores and is one reason why AMA link and transcode is faster than an import.

But it would be great to have an Avid ingest product that has the AMA functionality as well as import to make Avid media. But the better option would be background Transcoding.

Much slicker to have 3 options to select from in the Transcode settings:

Transcode in background after AMA link (all AMA linked media starts transcoding as soon as linked)

Transcode in background when cut into timeline (with option for selected subclip or whole clip)

Don't auto Transcode

Then an additional option to prompt should errors occur or report to console and continue.

And possbily some way of choosing the transcode order (which currently seems to be completely random!)

And finally an option to auto relink clips int he sequence from their AMA clips to the new transcoded clips after transcode.

You coudl then AMA link and start cutting and in the background MC would start to transcode media and your timeline would auto relink to the new media as it became available.

That and background rendering plus background queued excports are vital timesaving features many editors are demanding nowadays.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Wed, Mar 6 2013 12:51 PM In reply to

I'm with you on those Pat.  Can't wait for background rendering.  I would still like the option of an external Avid application though.  Background encoding will still take up a lot of CPU cycles and it would be nice to have a few dedicated machines that just churn away in the background in a sort of render farm manner and deposit mxfs in a designated Avid MediaFiles folder, especially when there's lots of media involved.  It could email you when each card is complete or something along with a link to an AAF. 

From an assistants point of view it also means you don't have to bother the editor too much and you get to keep control over the vital function of organising and naming media.

Cheers,

Andi

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 12:56 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

I'm with you on those Pat.  Can't wait for background rendering.  I would still like the option of an external Avid application though.  Background encoding will still take up a lot of CPU cycles and it would be nice to have a few dedicated machines that just churn away in the background in a sort of render farm manner and deposit mxfs in a designated Avid MediaFiles folder, especially when there's lots of media involved.  It could email you when each card is complete or something along with a link to an AAF. 

From an assistants point of view it also means you don't have to bother the editor too much and you get to keep control over the vital function of organising and naming media.

Cheers,

Andi

I suspect for many folks theres a big move away from that sort of work flow. It's common with older FCP systems and their limits on dealing with tapeless content to just transcode to Prores but with shooting ratios on the up for many productions trying to make so much media is impossible.

So AMA direct access and just transcoding the selects or the timeline are far more common.

Also for formats like Red you lose the ability to manipulate the metadata first if you just make MXF media. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Wed, Mar 6 2013 1:10 PM In reply to

I'm not so sure Pat, I know a lot of places in London that just transcode everything to 15:1.  And this is for programmes which use a TON of media.  Because at the ingest stage (usually overnight), producers don't want to be sitting around making selects, they want to do that at the edit or over ForScene or Cinergy.    Admittedly it's not RED and I LOVE the AMA workflow for that now, but for things like XDCAM most of the workflows I see involve AMA>Transcode to offline res>Edit>Conform>Finish, with the transcode just being everything rather than selects.

Shooting ratios are crazy right now and it's a pain in the *** that a new generation of so-called cameramen have not had to deal with the concept of just shooting what you need.  Maybe if post houses started actually passing on the costs of storage to the client they might get it under control but I doubt that's ever going to happen.  We need some sort of VFX-style uprising!

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 4:17 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

One issue of transcoding outside of Avid is that not many tools will create MXF media in Avid format and even if they do they won;t put the Porject name metadata in. This means inside Media Composer the media tool can't associate that media with your project. So media management becomes more complex.

No doubt the missing Project affiliation, with its BLANK Project Bin/Column Name is a consideration. But for me, being able to continue editing while getting hours of media "3rd-party transcoded" to Avid DNxHD MXF in the background on the same PC is worth the hassle.

Workaround: Consolidating within the Project to bake in the current Project's affiliation, (which for me does not need to be done until end of day).

-Telegram!

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:11 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,449
    • Points 98,420

If you're going to have transcoding externally it shouldn't be too hard to add project support.  I would go further.  The "Rolls Royce" workflow would be to also create bin files at the same time which could be copied across into the master project when the media is copied over.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 7:12 AM In reply to

Telegram!:

No doubt the missing Project affiliation, with its BLANK Project Bin/Column Name is a consideration. But for me, being able to continue editing while getting hours of media "3rd-party transcoded" to Avid DNxHD MXF in the background on the same PC is worth the hassle.

Workaround: Consolidating within the Project to bake in the current Project's affiliation

I recently tried running Extract DNxHD Data from Clip menu on one of my BLANK project affiliation clips derived from Squeeze 's MXF Export. It took a little while and then ppopulated my Project Column with name of current Project. I was able to Sift for that clip in MediaTool when I had changed to a different project.

So I *think* the added project name sticks. This seems to be a way to bypass Consolidating, good for when there's not enough drive space available. Note: Extract DNxHD Data is not intended for this purpose AFAIK, so do this on your clips at own peril. Also, I tried but found it was not a way to change a masterclip's existing Project affiliation... so the search for some easy way to do that continues...

-Telegram!

• Fri, Mar 8 2013 1:44 PM In reply to

Good tip though!  Thanks!

• Thu, Mar 21 2013 8:15 PM In reply to

Andi you could try this - an Avid certified DNxHD transcoding plugin to Sorenson Squeeze 8. 

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do?product=307799591993888

Avid MC 6.5.2 on Win7 x64, 8-thread i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Quadro FX 580. Storage: 128GB SSD boot, 3TB Seagate Barracuda internal, 16TB (4x 2TB... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Mar 21 2013 8:31 PM In reply to

Hmm, the problem is in the metadata though.  I wonder how much you can add to the files with this method?  Tape ID, Disk Label, source tape?  That's the problem I'd like to solve.  That's why i think it needs to be an Avid solution.

• Thu, Mar 21 2013 8:54 PM In reply to

I haven't used this plugin yet. I came across your post and the plugin when I was searching for a similar solution...I'm trying to find a free trial of the plugin to see if it has settings to retain or create these metadata fields.

Avid MC 6.5.2 on Win7 x64, 8-thread i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Quadro FX 580. Storage: 128GB SSD boot, 3TB Seagate Barracuda internal, 16TB (4x 2TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:17 PM In reply to

Thanks Varun,

Let us know how you get on if you do try it.

Andi

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller