Latest post Mon, Aug 27 2012 6:55 PM by jdcoletv. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:08 PM

Mountain Lion and QT7

Is it correct that QT7 has been dropped from Mountain Lion and now it's just QTX? with Apple moving away from QT to AV foundation?

If so how will that impact QT import and export from Media Composer? Is the legacy backend, as used by MC for QT export still present? Or will the QT export become much more limited?

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:27 PM In reply to

Re: Mountain Lion and QT7

According to Apple, QuickTime Player 7 is still compatible with Mountain Lion.  You have to download and install the Snow Leopard version, but it should work.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Aug 22 2012 1:13 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:

According to Apple, QuickTime Player 7 is still compatible with Mountain Lion.  You have to download and install the Snow Leopard version, but it should work.

And is that what MC users need to do to get the "normal" QT export options?

What do they get if they don;t have QT7 installed?

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 1:24 PM In reply to

Here's my understanding...

Avid uses the QuickTime X engine for all imports and exports, so Avid will export without QuickTime 7 installed.  But if you want to have export options out of QuickTime itself, you need to install 7, as there is no QuickTime X Pro. 

Personally, I always export Same as Source out of Avid and then let QuickTime 7 Pro create the files I need, usually smaller QuickTime or Windows movies for postings.  (I have always found SAS exports faster, and then it doesn't tie up Avid while QuickTime Pro does the rest.)

I detest the QuickTime X Player so much that I have changed the default so all .mov files are opened in QuickTime 7.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Aug 24 2012 10:01 PM In reply to

A lot of info in this thread is incorrect. There is a difference between QuickTime players and QuickTime APIs. QuickTime Player 7 is not installed in 10.8 but the APIs are so you do not need to install the player to get Avid to work correctly.

Also, there is no QuickTime X API. Since 10.7, QT Player X has used AV Foundation which Avid is not using for importing or exporting QuickTime media. Avid is still using the QT7 APIs.

More info:
    http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/quicktime_7_and_x_frequently_asked_questions.html

My software:
    Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
    Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
    More tools...

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 6:32 PM In reply to

Thanks, Jon.

You obviously have a more technical understanding about the entire QuickTime engine than most of us do here.

I guess the point is, which is what often confuses people, unlike on a PC (or in the OS 9 days of Mac), you don't have to worry about the version of QuickTime installed.  As long as you are using a qualified OS, it will work, and it doesn't matter whether or not you have QuickTime 7 Player installed for Pro exports, because it will work regardless.

-- Kevin

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 6:55 PM In reply to

• jdcoletv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2011
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,195

QTX also is very buggy in Mountain Lion. Keeps crashing if I attempt to shuttle through footage. Video trim function is terrible. So much better in QT7. It has been iMovied!

MacBook Pro (16 inch, 2019), 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core 9, 32gb 2667 memory, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB Softraid driven OWC ThunderBay 4 Raid drive. [view my complete system specs]

Regards,
    Jeremy

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller