Latest post Thu, Jan 24 2013 7:01 PM by Andrew_G. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 15 2012 1:31 AM

• prezvani
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 4 2012
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

Maximum Project Size

Hi all,

I'm working in Composer 5.5 on a project that has alot of footage in it.  I was wondering if anyone can recommend a safe maximum amount of footage that I should bring into the project before the Avid starts getting slow or crashing? Or if there even is a limit to the number of footage you can bring in?

Also, you should know that I'm using AMA linking for EX1 footage and then consolidating it to a 16 TB tower that the project references.  In this case, will Avid work fine with referencing tons of footage being AMA linked?

Thanks for reading my post! I look forward to reading what you recommend.

• Fri, Jun 15 2012 4:11 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 529
    • Points 7,020

Re: Maximum Project Size

I had a project that was 760 megs one time.  It's not so much about the size of the project as the size of the bins and how many you have open.  A bin with long sequences can easily hit 50 megs.  4 gigs of free ram that's not being used by other programs helps.

The 760 meg project I had was edited using EX1 footage.  I had just over 2TB and it was probably over 15,000 media files (not clips, as audio and video are different files in the mxf folder).

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 15 2012 5:40 AM In reply to

Footage is never an issue AFAIK. Sequences, and the amount of tracks in them, and the amount of clips associated with them, are bin fillers. I try to keep bins under 30-40MB or so. My projects usually end up between 1 and 2 GB (with many, many sync clips and sequences, normally 8-10 V-tracks and 16-24 A-tracks. Used to have some slowness issues back in the days of the 3GB RAM limit in the days of 32-bit OS-es, but ever since we can use way more RAM, those sizes work fine (8-12 GB).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 24 2013 6:59 PM In reply to

• Andrew_G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 5 2011
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

Strictly talking about overall project size, there seems to be a fairly high ceiling.

In MC4 and MC6, I've worked on features that go well beyound 5 GB's, and some as high as 12GB. There doesn't seem to be a really noticeable difference in performance as the project size increases, unlike something like Final Cut Pro 7 that had major problems if your project came anywhere close to 1GB.

I wonder how Premiere CS6 does in this aspect... 

• Thu, Jan 24 2013 7:01 PM In reply to

• Andrew_G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 5 2011
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

Just to be super clear, though, I'm talking about Project file size, not amount of media referenced by the project.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller