Latest post Sun, Mar 11 2012 3:04 PM by Terry Snyder. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 6 2012 4:08 AM

DNxHD: Consolidate VS Transcode.

Hi Everyone!

I recently shot several hours of 1080/24p AVCHD footage for an event and am now wondering what would be the most efficient way of dealing with the editing.

Basically, since I am only doing this  on an amateur system, I can only afford up to 1.5 TB of online data at a time for any project.  I am running Media Composer 6 on a Quad Core Z400 with an Nvidia Qaudro 4000 card and 12 Gb of RAM.

Would it be possible to import all of my footage in DNxHD 36, make my edits, consolidate my sequences with handles (getting rid of all the DNxHD 36 media I did not use for my edit) and then re-import only the media I need in DNxHD 175 X for color correction and such?

Would there be a better offline codec than the DNxHD 36 ?  (AVC-Intra 100 MXF) ?  Or is my system potent enough to edit directly with AMA linked clips?

Basically, I want to use as little space as possible, while still being able to edit smoothly and precisely.

Thanks for your insights!

• Tue, Mar 6 2012 4:51 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: DNxHD: Consolidate VS Transcode.

Luc Desjardins:
    Would it be possible to import all of my footage in DNxHD 36, make my edits, consolidate my sequences with handles (getting rid of all the DNxHD 36 media I did not use for my edit) and then re-import only the media I need in DNxHD 175 X for color correction and such?

Broadly speaking - yes. This is what Avid does really well.

• AMA Link source media.
    • Assign "Tape" ID to the linked clips (ideally a per-reel basis with Clip -> Modify).
    • Transcode AMA Linked material to DNxHD 36 (or whatever).
    • Edit.
    • Copy Final sequence to a new bin and Decompose it (unlinks all master clips).
    • Delete the offline decompoed clips from the bin (leaving only sequence with all media offline).
    • Select sequence and all AMA clips, Relink to selected clips.
    • Transcode sequence to DNxHD 175 (or whatever).

The assigning of tape labels isn't absolutely required but it makes it a lot easier to figure out any minor problems.

It's best to store the original AMA clips in another bin that you're not going to use during editing - keeps the references alive and the new metadata you've added (Tape ID) with the clips.

You can relink without doing the Decompose, but decomposing the sequence makes it a lot easier to see if clips have failed to connect (rather than remaining connected to old DNxHD 36 clips.

Luc Desjardins:
    Would there be a better offline codec than the DNxHD 36 ?  (AVC-Intra 100 MXF) ?  Or is my system potent enough to edit directly with AMA linked clips?

Your system may actually do okay with the AVCHD natively. Although the last project like this I transcoded my AVCHD media to XDCAM EX (35Mb/s) which was a suitable online codec for my purposes (DVD output and H.264 file). It was a codec that Avid supported natively (rather than through AMA) and with a low enough data rate that it didn't use excessive storage or tax the system too heavily.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:33 AM In reply to

Hi DylanReeve, thanks for your answer!

I must say I am confused from step 6 of your list:

1. AMA Link source media.
    2. Assign "Tape" ID to the linked clips (ideally a per-reel basis with Clip -> Modify).
    3. Transcode AMA Linked material to DNxHD 36 (or whatever). 
    4. Edit.
    5. Copy Final sequence to a new bin and Decompose it (unlinks all master clips).
    6. Delete the offline decompoed clips from the bin (leaving only sequence with all media offline).
    7. Select sequence and all AMA clips, Relink to selected clips.
    8. Transcode sequence to DNxHD 175 (or whatever). 

After I decomposed my sequence, I will have:

1 - A Bin with AMA linked AVCHD clips (AMA Bin)

2 - A Bin with DNxHD 36 clips from which I edited (DNxHD 36 Bin)

3 - A Bin with My final sequence and decomposed clips bits  (Decomposed Bin).

At step 6, I should delete the clips from which bin?  (AMA, DNxHD 36 or Decomposed).

At step 7, in which bin are the clips you are refering to as "Selected Clips" ?

At step 8, should I create a new bin for my DNxHD 175 clips?

I guess a video would help me, but is there any AVID training video that exists that explain this process?  I just want to make sure I am deleting the right thing and not hours of work instead.

Thank you very much for your help!

• Sat, Mar 10 2012 8:30 PM In reply to

• Matt Wildes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 3 2009
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

You will want to delete the clips in your Decomposed Bin. Once you have deleted the clips in your decomposed bin, open you're AMA bin and select all of your clips. Then go back to your Decomposed bin, select your decomposed seq and relink using the "relink to selected clips" option. Once your decomp seq is back online (referencing your AMA clips) you can transcode that sequence to DNxHD175. 

1.) HP Z800, X5650 @ 2.67GHz (x2) Xeon, W7 Pro; 18GB of RAM; Nvidia QuadroFX 3800; Symphony 6.0.1 // Nitris DX 2.) HP Z400, W3680 @ 3.33GHz, W7 Pro; 12GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 10 2012 11:13 PM In reply to

Nice, thank you very much for your patiente!  Now I understand!

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 3:04 PM In reply to

Luc Desjardins:

If storage space is a constraint and you are using a Z400, you probably have an eSata card.   Do yourself a favor and get an exteral 7200rpm harddrive with an eSata connection.   You can buy a professional grade 2TB drive for less the $200.   Import the footage at DNxHD 175 and save yourself the hassle. 

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller