Latest post Thu, Feb 2 2012 5:47 PM by Dan. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:02 PM

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • UK
    • Posts 231
    • Points 3,190

Sound syncing plugin for Media Composer

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on sound syncing software that will talk to Avid/be easy to integrate into an Avid workflow.

What we would normally have is footage often on a DSLR with upsound, and then separate wavs from a digital recorder (not always the same amount of clips either!) Ideally I'd like something that will take the upsound and the wav and match them on the timeline so we don't have to sync it all by eye (or ear).

I've looked into pluraleyes, which looks ok but seems like there would be extra importing/exporting as it's a standalone program - is there any Avid plugin that does the same thing from within Avid? Or is pluraleyes the best solution?

Thanks

Symphony 8.5.3 Windows 7 pro 64bit. Intel Core i7 2600k. 16GB RAM. Nvidia Quadro fx5500. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:17 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,452
    • Points 15,965

Re: Sound syncing plugin for Media Composer

Hi, I can highly recommend pluraleyes. Export / import AAF roster only with reference to the media. It is a small text file and it runs very quickly. Download the program and try it. It's a 30-day trial version is fully functional.
    W.

AVID MC2022.10, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 513.46, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 12.4.1, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:23 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 686
    • Points 8,315

I've been there; when I was editing my 5D footage I purchased a Horita TC generator and Tascam digital recorder with jam sync time code.  We would jam sync the Tascam to the Horita which was feeding TC to channel 2 of the 5d we then brought all of the files Video and audio into the Avid and using Read Audio Time code and Auto sync in Avid we would get sub clips with video and audio. The problem was the Tascam TC would drift throughout the day.  We then started jam syncing before every interview.  I finally sold the 5D and bought a Sony PMW F3.

Plural eyes was only working for FCP at the time, they now make it for Avid, folks I've talked to say it works fine most of the time. 

HP-Z6-G4 Workstation, 1-Xeon 4216 16 core processor, 64GB 2933MHz DDR4 ECC Memory, P4000 GPU, 512GB NVMe 1TB NVMe, Thunderbolt 3 controller, 1 Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:34 PM In reply to

scocklin:

I've been there; when I was editing my 5D footage I purchased a Horita TC generator and Tascam digital recorder with jam sync time code.  We would jam sync the Tascam to the Horita which was feeding TC to channel 2 of the 5d we then brought all of the files Video and audio into the Avid and using Read Audio Time code and Auto sync in Avid we would get sub clips with video and audio. The problem was the Tascam TC would drift throughout the day.  We then started jam syncing before every interview.  I finally sold the 5D and bought a Sony PMW F3.

Plural eyes was only working for FCP at the time, they now make it for Avid, folks I've talked to say it works fine most of the time. 

ISn't there also an issue with the Audio on the 5D being 1 frame out. So Timecode on that track or even guide audio will still result in a timecode offset. Had a few people caught out by it.

The 5D is a great camera....... for stills !

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:46 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 686
    • Points 8,315

Not sure about the 1 frame off, when the TC drifted it was off by 15 frames or more.  I had to add a pad to the audio coming out of the Horita because it was 2vPtoP, when the TC was on it worked perfectly.  I found the procedure of how to do it on YouTube, it is a video put out by Avid.  The 5D is a good camera for getting into tight spaces, I used it on a documentary I shot for NatGeo on building the Bentley auto, we shot in Crew, England.  I used a triangular carmount kit from Filmtools to mount the 5D on various parts of the car inside and out, I worried allot about rolling shutter but the Bentley is a smooth ride; it worked out great. 

HP-Z6-G4 Workstation, 1-Xeon 4216 16 core processor, 64GB 2933MHz DDR4 ECC Memory, P4000 GPU, 512GB NVMe 1TB NVMe, Thunderbolt 3 controller, 1 Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 5:47 PM In reply to

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • UK
    • Posts 231
    • Points 3,190

Looks like pluraleyes is the best solution for us - thanks for the advice all.

Symphony 8.5.3 Windows 7 pro 64bit. Intel Core i7 2600k. 16GB RAM. Nvidia Quadro fx5500. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller