Latest post Tue, Jul 17 2012 12:47 AM by Jackrabbit416. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 30 2011 9:31 PM

• Liliana
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 12 2006
    • FL
    • Posts 32
    • Points 420

DVD Authoring For MC Mac

I just got a MacBook Pro (1 month ago) & loaded Avid on it & the Prodution Suite.  Then I tried to install Avid DVD.  No go.  Learned that it is not written for Mac.  I have other Avids, been an Avid editor for years.  Really like the easy workflow into Avid DVD.  So now I'm stuck.  What do I do for authoring with menus?  Do I edit on the MacBook & then take file out same as source to my HP & use Avid DVD to author on there?

I hear that iDVD is no longer supported (My Macbook came with iMovie, iPictures & GarageBand).  Great consumer products, but will not help me in my work on 1 machine.  Blaaaa

Why is Avid DVD not available on a Mac?  Maybe that Mac thing wasn't such a good idea.....

HP Zbook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation, Intel Core E3-1535M Quad Core 2.9GHz, 32GB RAM (4x8GB), 1TB 7200RPM HDD, M4000M Video - 2018.7, BCC Also have old Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 30 2011 9:35 PM In reply to

Re: DVD Authoring For MC Mac

QT Ref out and then use whatever Mac DVD application you fancy.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Sun, Oct 30 2011 9:52 PM In reply to

• Liliana
    • Not Ranked
    • FL
    • Posts 32
    • Points 420

What Mac DVD application?  I don't seem find any.  There is Toast (for $79 & $129 for the HD support), which is an picture/movie editor, and Adobe Encore which is bundled with Premiere and DVD Studio Pro which is bundled with FCP.  I have search for : Mac DVD Authoring software to no avail.

Is Toast about it?

Thanks in advance.  I am getting frustrated with this Mac thingy

HP Zbook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation, Intel Core E3-1535M Quad Core 2.9GHz, 32GB RAM (4x8GB), 1TB 7200RPM HDD, M4000M Video - 2018.7, BCC Also have old Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 31 2011 3:22 AM In reply to

Yes.

My software:
    Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
    Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
    More tools...

• Mon, Oct 31 2011 3:50 AM In reply to

Toast and iDVD.

MC 2022, W11, ASUS z690m, Intel 13900K, Gigabyte 3080Ti Waterforce, 128GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Big... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:21 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

vidbizz2:

Do I edit on the MacBook & then take file out same as source to my HP & use Avid DVD to author on there?

I hear that iDVD is no longer supported (My Macbook came with iMovie, iPictures & GarageBand).  Great consumer products, but will not help me in my work on 1 machine.  Blaaaa

Why is Avid DVD not available on a Mac?  Maybe that Mac thing wasn't such a good idea.....

Those was all the thoughts that I also had until I realized that I needed to install a windows emulator anyhow so instead of spending my money on Mac applications I spent it on Parallels instead.

I already had the Vista 64 bits Ultimate install disc so that was a free cost, I also already had the TAW 4 license but that cost of 80 dollars might not be that hard to handle anyhow and as Bitvice is free nowadays ( I bought it to be able to use the Purifier part and the lower speed encoding ) the cost for it all isn´t that hard, if you have the bundle you already have Squeeze but for Dvd encodings I consider Bitvice to be top of the line and actually one of my main reasons to get me a Mac.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Oct 31 2011 2:13 PM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 605
    • Points 7,055

For what it's worth, I have kept an ancient PC desktop setup purely for authoring DVDs with 'DVDlabPro'. Qtrefs to Squeeze then over to the PC for authoring, then take the VTS back to the Mac for Toast. Longwinded but it works!

MCversion 2020-10-0 on macOS 10.14.6 13" early-2015 Macbook Pro; 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB Gizmos... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:46 PM In reply to

• Liliana
    • Not Ranked
    • FL
    • Posts 32
    • Points 420

To all above thanks!  What a workaround for this Mac.  In PC land, I just sent the QtRef files to Avid DVD, made all my menus & made the DVD iso & duplicated on my DiscMaker. Done!  And I could encode w/Sorensen for BLuRay.  

Will Toast give me total customizable menu capability?

What I don't get is why put windows on Mac?  Just for the programs?  Why not get a PC then?  I think I'm gonna end up editing  a project on the Mac & then finishing the DVDs on my PC Media Composer.  Next Avid will be on a PC again.

• Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:52 PM In reply to

Problem is that Apple is anti-physical media.  They killed DVDSP in development, and have never offered any kind of Blu-ray support.

Their business model is based in the iCloud...so they aren't really moving forward with anything that involves DVD anymore.

Even the OS isn't available on DVD anymore...

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Nov 1 2011 5:18 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

vidbizz2:

And I could encode w/Sorensen for BLuRay.  

I am doing that on my Mac all the time

vidbizz2:

What I don't get is why put windows on Mac?  Just for the programs? 

Yes, the DVD application ( s )

vidbizz2:

Next Avid will be on a PC again.

In that case, I wouldn´t be able to use Bitvice and Purifier and I needed a laptop anyhow

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Nov 1 2011 5:45 PM In reply to

• mikela
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 28 2011
    • Posts 126
    • Points 1,420

vidbizz2:
    Will Toast give me total customizable menu capability?

yes, if you're thinking of the most bare bones "custom" you can think of.

I use toast to author straight play DVDs, or build basic menus that just represent chapter markers. There is the option to go for 'no menu' or looping video tracks, so it really has the bare basics covered. And believe it or not... I really miss DVDStudioPro sometimes. It was my prefered burning application on the Mac.

• Tue, Nov 1 2011 6:06 PM In reply to

Bitvice for encoding

DVDSP / Adobe Encore for authoring (yes DVDSP still works on Lion!)

Toast for burning

2022 Mac Studio, M1 Ultra, 128 GB RAM, 20-Core CPU, 48-Core GPU, Avid DNxID, 24 TB Thunderbolt 3 Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Tue, Nov 1 2011 8:33 PM In reply to

• Helena Trix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • Pretoria, South Africa
    • Posts 161
    • Points 2,490

Allthough I think its irritating that Idvd is gone and DVDstudiopro is no longer updated.

I DO respect Apples way of moving forward to the future..
    I mean DVD's seriously...(and any other Optic Storage Device such as blu-ray...) its so vulnerable and fragile, not suitable for storage over long times and never was.

I think apple made a wise decision to push us to a HDD/Flash for storage and also for viewing films (in combination with streaming). 

Anyways back to the topic.:
    Adobe Encore is a pretty solid apllication, I love it. Also toast like mentioned before is really good.

Good luck! 

Mac Pro 32GB Lion MC 7.02 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 17 2012 12:47 AM In reply to

While we're on the topic of burning DVDs from Mac Avid (or...were on it at one time!).  I'm having trouble figuring out the best configuration for outputting for Toast.  Many times the video footage's fields get all screwy.  I don't want to deinterlace because I don't want to lose the video look (or the client will wonder what I did to their footage).  I've captured off of Digi or DVCpro to DV25 codec.  Any thoughts on output file settings for Toast?

Thanks everyone

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller