Latest post Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:33 PM by jef. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 30 2011 3:43 PM

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,089
    • Points 49,315

IO express issue bump

I thought I would cross post this so that the AJA folks might chime in :

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/96518.aspx?PageIndex=3

We are hesitant to buy any IO Express units till this is worked out.

Thanks,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Fri, Sep 30 2011 8:40 PM In reply to

Re: IO express issue bump

Hi Jef,

Thanks for your note here. We have many successful users on Io Express with Avid 5.5.3 and if an individual is running into issues, they should always check first with AJA support after ruling out Avid related issues. To contact support - visit, call or email:

http://www.aja.com/support/io/io-express.php

Phone: +1-530-271-3190
    Fax: +1-530-274-9442
    Email: support@aja.com

That being said, also note that Avid uses the Keyspan control and not the Io Express RS-422 which adds a variable to check as well.

Other suggestions for you:

1)      Make sure MCS5.5 is at version 5.5.3

2)      Try without a reference connected to the Io Express.

3)      Delete the Io Express preferences:

a.       Go to Mac HD: /library/preferences/ and delete all the com.aja.* files

b.      Reboot.

4)      To make sure it isn’t a local preference issue, login as a different user and test.

5)      Test layoff to tape with our VTR Exchange application. You will have to connect the RS422 cable directly to the Io Express. You may need to test with Pro Res, DVCpro HD etc which you can capture using VTR Exchange, thus ensuring that the Io Express itself is functioning correctly. You can find this software at the Io Express support page:

http://www.aja.com/support/io/io-express.php

All the best

AJA Video Systems

Filed under:
  • Fri, Sep 30 2011 11:57 PM In reply to

Thanks for getting Aja into the loop on this one. I will definatley give these steps a shot on Monday. We have no problem doing laybacks via the VTR Exchange application. Final Cut Pro works fine also. It seems to be an Avid issue with the IO. 

I have also been in contact with Avid support on this as well. They have confirmed with their lab this bug has not been fixed yet. It will be solved in 5.5.3.1 wich they hope to be out in the next 30 days.

We are hoping that to be the case. In the mean time all our outputs are being done on DX systems. 

-EB

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 3:06 AM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 46
    • Points 650

I am having the same problem. We purchased an IO Express last week so we could downconvert our HD projects to digibeta. Our old Adrenaline worked great, but did not have the HD option. With the AJA hardware, we can get video in and out. We can manually control a Sony DVW-500 using the capture tool or the digital cut tool. What we can't do is get avid to control the deck for capture or digital cut. Avid pre-rolls the deck and right when the capture or digital cut should start, we get the coincidence point error. I have disconnected the reference in. I have deleted the AJA prefs as suggested. I shut down both the Mac Pro and the IO Express. However, the problem continues. Could it have something to do with the fact that we used to have an Adrenaline? Is there some preference or driver lurking on our system that is sabotaging the IO Express?

Does this have something to do with HD vs. SD ? One poster said that it worked fine with a Sony SR deck, but not with his digibeta deck. I don't have an SR deck, so I can't try that. I'm frustrated. I was told that "Io Express delivers cost-effective video I/O offering high quality HD/SD capture, monitoring and output and RS422 support". They did not actually say that it could do frame-accurate digital cuts, but I think it was implied. 

We have 6 Media Composer systems. 5 are running MC 2020.12 and Mac OS X 10.14.x 1 is running Windows 10 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Alexandria VA 22304

USA

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 6:40 PM In reply to

Hi Bruce,

I checked into your issues from our end and I suspect you may need to contact Avid support again.

As mentioned in our response higher up in this thread, with the 5.5.3 Avid software, RS-422 support is officialy handled through the Keyspan USB adapter. There has been mention of possible fixes for this issue, that appears to affect very few users, in a software update from Avid, but we haven't seen a drop of the 5.5.3.1 software for this yet.

We can tell you for certain that we have not seen any issues with frame accurate digital cuts through Io Express with the coming 6.0 release and our Open I/O plugins, which we recognize is not much of a consolation for your current situation. The quote you share above of course refers to the fact that you will probably find that you don't have any issues if using the AJA VTR exchange software, and something you might consider testing to ensure that your particular Io Express functions correctly as designed.

Regarding older Andrenaline preferences that may be hanging around, I think Avid may best be positioned to help you on that front. 

• Wed, Dec 28 2011 4:32 PM In reply to

This issue is experienced by multiple users (see above mentioned thread), myself included. Wanted to bump this up again in hopes that there is some resolution. For my record:

Mac OS 10.6.8, Media Composer 5.5.3.1, IO Express, AJA driver 9.0.5.

Have tried Digital Cut with reference set to External (and deck locked to same external ref) to DVW-A500 DigiBeta deck. It prerolls, begins the edit, and then drops out within a second, with the error mentioned. The exact same sequence on a system with the same OS, MC version, but with a Nitris DX performs flawless digital cut. I can also mention that the IO Express on the same system but using FCP 7 works fine.

This problem has been narrowed down by me and others to how the IO Express and MC interact at the digital cut stage. And it seems to have only exhibited when laying off SD to an NTSC DigiBeta deck (so far). An attempt I made to lay off 1080/59.94i to a SRW-5500 HDCAM-SR deck proved successful, although there were some audio pop anomalies I could not source that were not present in the sequence. This needs to be looked into for both Avid and AJA - other avenues to rectify this problem have yet to yield positive results.

Mac OS X 10.9.5, MC/Symphony v8.4.2, Nitris DX, AJA ioExpress Sony HDCAM-SR SRW-5500 Panasonic AJ-3700HD D5 etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 28 2011 7:14 PM In reply to

• postjosh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 90

i'm one of the users from the other forum who is having a related problem. i am unable to batch digitize in media composer using preroll with my io express from my uvw-1800. it works in approximately one out of ten attempts. i get the same exception as the other users are reporting,

Exception: Failed to find coincidence point on tape.

i'm on mac os 10.6.8, mc 5.5.3, aja 9.05. i am coverting to sdi using a blackmagic mini converter from the component outs on the beta sp. the same setup digitizes reliably when i don't use the preroll function. i also digitize via sdi from an hvr-1500 without problems. i have black reference set and timed to both the io express and the betacam.

thx, josh

• Thu, Dec 29 2011 12:39 AM In reply to

Think I may have found a solution.

Took a little time and got behind the racks to rewire the 422 to the IO Express's port. Using the IO Express 422 instead of the Avid-sanctioned Keyspan serial adapter WORKS. It seems to be behaving nicely with all of my decks (DVW-A500, SRW-5500).

Is there any caveat to using it this way? There must be a reason why Avid and AJA want me to use a Keyspan, but if the IO Express port works and the Keyspan doesn't, I'm inclined to stick with the IO Express...

Mac OS X 10.9.5, MC/Symphony v8.4.2, Nitris DX, AJA ioExpress Sony HDCAM-SR SRW-5500 Panasonic AJ-3700HD D5 etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 29 2011 1:21 AM In reply to

Hi Mark and others who have commented on this,

Officially I can tell you that for Avid MC 5.5, the support for the Io Express is provided by Avid.  For MC 6, third party support is supplied by each manufacturer via the Open I/O Plug-In architecture so AJA now supplies the support for Io Express within the limitations of current Open I/O parameters.

As you have already found, it is technically possible to work with the RS422 port on the Io Express and get the results that you seek with MC 5.5...

However, the choice to use the Keyspan is Avid's and at AJA we must respect that. I do encourage you and others to take any questions on this front to Avid support if needed.

In the meantime, you may have a practical solution for your current needs...

Respectfully

AJA Video Systems

• Thu, Dec 29 2011 2:49 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,450
    • Points 98,435

AJA Video Systems:
    In the meantime, you may have a practical solution for your current needs...
    Sure sounds like it to me.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 29 2011 3:16 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,089
    • Points 49,315

The only thing I would suggest is that you give a really thorough test to the AJA 422 deck control.  Capture a TC burned in signal and output one as well.  Do a bunch of edits.  Do a bunch of captures.

Not saying that it will not work or that it is not reliable.  You just need to beat on it hard and feel comfortable with results.

Thanks for sharing.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:21 PM In reply to

I've done a bunch of captures and layoffs to DVW and SRW machines. It's good.

I feel confident in my non-Avid and non-AJA employ to qualify the IO Express RS-422 for my use with MC 5.5.3.1 and OS 10.6.8. If anyone has the same system, please post your results from this combination here.

• Wed, Jan 4 2012 4:48 PM In reply to

• postjosh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 90

i can confirm mark's results using mc 5.5.3.1 and mac os 10.6.8 with the new "relaxed coincidence point setting. i have digitized about 5 tapes maybe 15 clips in all with preroll. i went directly from the db9 connector on the io express to the betacam.

sony uvw-1800 -> blackmagic mini coverter -> aja io express sdi in

they all worked flawlessly. i didn't get the dreaded "failded to find coincidence point" error once! thanks for your help, mark. i'll keep the board posted, if i come across any significant issues.

• Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:33 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,089
    • Points 49,315

I am curious to know if you checked for TC accuracy.  I would be nervous that the mini convertor might have some latency causing the capture to not be accurate.

Just wondering ....

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller